Missing beaks

A chickens beak does not simply fall off very suspicious hope they do well very sorry this happened anyone who doesn't appreciate you having chickens around?

We have one small 4’x6’ piece of plastic that the feeder sits on. But the rest of the yard is grass and they free range into our yard and pastures. No concrete except for our driveway.

It's truly a bizarre thing. I was hoping maybe it was something like concrete...cause that's easy to deal with.

I feed my cross beaked bird wet mash every day.

It's just the regular feed with water added to make a mash that ia about the consistency of cooked oatmeal.

I don't know if they can eat it with the lower beak missing so far back. :(
It has me wondering with summer coming if they will be able to get enough water.

A deep water dish like this will allow them to dunk their partial beaks and draw the water to the back of their throat. The higher off the ground it is, the more they will be able to swallow easily. Set it up off the ground about 2" at first or higher, and adjust to the height that makes it easy to drink. The water level needs to be kept high so they can draw water in without having to bend over too much.

20210513_223519.jpg

A food that is powdery and turns into a mushy paste when wet, or a dry crumble type food would also be easily manipulated into their throats. They will be able to take bites into a deep enough food tray and it will stick to their tongue and mouth where they can swallow it. Have their water next to their food so they can switch back and forth to aid in swallowing.

They probably may even be able to eat normal food too that you give your other hens if its in an accessible container to them. This type of food does not require consistent grit intake as a normal chicken would be getting.

20210513_230207.jpg

A deep water dish like this will allow them to dunk their partial beaks and draw the water to the back of their throat. The higher off the ground it is, the more they will be able to swallow easily. Set it up off the ground about 2" at first or higher, and adjust to the height that makes it easy to drink. The water level needs to be kept high so they can draw water in without having to bend over too much.

View attachment 2668211

A food that is powdery and turns into a mushy paste when wet, or a dry crumble type food would also be easily manipulated into their throats. They will be able to take bites into a deep enough food tray and it will stick to their tongue and mouth where they can swallow it. Have their water next to their food so they can switch back and forth to aid in swallowing.

They probably may even be able to eat normal food too that you give your other hens if its in an accessible container to them. This type of food does not require consistent grit intake as a normal chicken would be getting.

View attachment 2668227
Thank you for the advice. I have been able to hand feed her a bit.

Back
Top Bottom