missing chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nekkiddoglady, May 25, 2011.

1. nekkiddoglady

nekkiddoglady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    the pen my brother had built for my 2 chickens is a lil too small.. it was something built for temporary using materials we had here.

Anyways, since it was such a nice day, and I was home, I thought I'd let them free-range abit. They mostly hung out in the shed (? you'd think they'd want to go enjoy the grass)

I went out to put them back in their pen/coop for the nite. I could only find one. He was nested on the seat of the lawn tractor. They've kept close to each other all day, but I couldnt find the second one. I tried calling out and listening for some clucking.

Im hoping my other chicken is just hiding in the shed or somewhere really well. We do have a storm rolling in, but wouldnt they want to be close to each other? They ussually are huddled together at nite.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh wow! I know how distressing that can be for you. Normally chickens that have been reared together do tend to stay not so far away from each other.

Here's hoping you find yours safe and sound. [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I hope he/she comes back soon! That's all you can do if you can't find them, is wait!!!

4. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    I hope you find her. I would be beside myself. Hopefully she is just hiding somewhere and will appear come morning. Good luck.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I no! I am so sorry you are having to go thru this. When they are raised together, they will usually stay close to each other. I am hopefully she will show back up in the morning [​IMG]

6. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Oh no!! I hope you found it!

I lost five of my seven today. I about had a heart attack. I ended up finding them deep in the woods. I think a hawk flew over and two ran towards the house and the other five ran into the woods, b/c the two were hiding in their lean-to that I put up for them so they can hide from hawks. I ended up having to carry the two into the woods b/c my alpha roo was one of them and he leads the flock everywhere so I was afraid the rest wouldn't find their way home without him. They are all safe and sound in their coop tonight, though, thankfully!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. nekkiddoglady

Apr 2, 2010
    I guess Ill have to wait. I looked around the house and shed as best as I could, but didnt see any sign of the chicken. This is the first time I let them free range tho, so they dont have any usual hiding spots yet.

I found it odd that they werent close to each other.

8. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Did the chicken show up today? [​IMG]

9. nekkiddoglady

Apr 2, 2010
    yep. He was sitting by the pen this morning, waiting for me to come let his buddy out.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

This has happened to me a few times. Such a warm feeling of relief!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by