Missing Chickens

Apr 28, 2021
Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
We had 2 dogs massacre half our flock.
After we started collecting bodies some chickens came out from hiding.
One of our larger cockerels came back with 4 Pullets and a few other cockerels - we were proud of him as we plan on him being our main rooster.
2 more came out of hiding after a few hours but now it’s been almost 24 hours and we’re still missing 5 chickens.
We live on heavy densely wooded land and with them being out all night and not returning this morning should we give up hope?
They are 8 weeks old.
My husband has lost hope and says the wood critters have ate them or they are now woods chickens.
I just want the rest to return safely instead of being picked off in the woods.
Are odds good they will come back? Or are they probably all dead?

Most likely gone for good. You might get one or 2 come back in the next few days but I wouldn't build up too much hope. Good luck to ya.
Not sure what part of the state ya in but around my neck the coyotes and foxes have really population exploded the last 10 years.

Most likely gone for good. You might get one or 2 come back in the next few days but I wouldn't build up too much hope. Good luck to ya.
Not sure what part of the state ya in but around my neck the coyotes and foxes have really population exploded the last 10 years.
I live in central Arkansas. The dogs have done a damn good job at keeping everything at bay but they only keep them off the property and the chickens left our main land unless their really hiding out good.

I live in central Arkansas. The dogs have done a damn good job at keeping everything at bay but they only keep them off the property and the chickens left our main land unless their really hiding out good.
Don't sound like ya too far from me then. We live out in the sticks about an hour south of little rock. Got a cuz that lives just outside of LR and they are having issues right now also.
About the only thing to do besides nonstop trapping is trying to build a bomb proof coop and run. I went that route and still trap year round.

Don't sound like ya too far from me then. We live out in the sticks about an hour south of little rock. Got a cuz that lives just outside of LR and they are having issues right now also.
About the only thing to do besides nonstop trapping is trying to build a bomb proof coop and run. I went that route and still trap year round.
What do you do with the trapped animal???
We live an hour north of LR in the deep sticks outside city limits. We own 40 acres so free ranging is really what I wanna do.
We’ve been having issues getting our taxes back but do wanna get an electric fence we can move around.

We had 2 dogs massacre half our flock.
After we started collecting bodies some chickens came out from hiding.
One of our larger cockerels came back with 4 Pullets and a few other cockerels - we were proud of him as we plan on him being our main rooster.
2 more came out of hiding after a few hours but now it’s been almost 24 hours and we’re still missing 5 chickens.
We live on heavy densely wooded land and with them being out all night and not returning this morning should we give up hope?
They are 8 weeks old.
My husband has lost hope and says the wood critters have ate them or they are now woods chickens.
I just want the rest to return safely instead of being picked off in the woods.
Are odds good they will come back? Or are they probably all dead?
8 weeks old chicks are barely old enough to be out of the brooder much less survive a dog attack .You likely won't see them again but an electric fence will stop anymore dogs from killing your flock. Electric fence isn't cheap but you can find them under $100

I have some 8 week chicks out in their pen. I feed them in the evenings so they will come in to eat and I don't have to chase them around and gather them up. I have nice large pens and also electric wires around all of my coops and pens and nothing messes with the hot wires. Just make sure you get a powerful enough charger that will put out enough current. Some fence chargers are quite weak and once a predator knows this it will go right through and get just a little shock. If anything touches my wires I want them to know it. Good luck...

As far as catching a predator, I usually eliminate anything that kills my birds because they will keep coming back for more. If you trap and don't want to eliminate there are usually wildlife rescues that will take whatever you catch and they usually have release areas. Again, good luck...

As far as catching a predator, I usually eliminate anything that kills my birds because they will keep coming back for more. If you trap and don't want to eliminate there are usually wildlife rescues that will take whatever you catch and they usually have release areas. Again, good luck...
It was our own dogs...and they were eliminated....it was our fault it happened but we’re still torn up about it..

8 weeks old chicks are barely old enough to be out of the brooder much less survive a dog attack .You likely won't see them again but an electric fence will stop anymore dogs from killing your flock. Electric fence isn't cheap but you can find them under $100
Ours are all fully feathered and been off heat for about 2-3 weeks. We started letting them out in an enclosed pen at about 5 weeks. I think they are either dead in the woods or the neighbors claimed them.
it was our own fault the dogs got them but they are free ranging we need to get an electric fence just not in the budget currently

Back
Top Bottom