Missing comb

PH0E

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2018
West Michigan
So I went out to check the girls' water and fill the feeder and I noticed blood on the feeder. Started looking and I saw some blood on the feathers of one. Started looking more and the back half of one of my buff orpintons combs is missing and she was bleeding a little where her back was pecked at. The comb is scabbed and i am going to cover her back with a saddle cover. Will the comb grow back and what can i do to stop the mutilation? I have had all 6 girls together since they were a week old in April.

Combs do not grow back when they have been torn off. I would spend some time with them to see who is picking on her. Separate the bully, or make sure this hen is not pecked. Make sure they have plenty of room in the coop, and a balanced chicken layer or flock raiser feed. I use blukote spray to hide any pecked or red areas.

It's also possible that the comb was caught on something and got torn, and the blood attracted pecking, hard to say which came first. Look around your run and coop for any place she may have gotten hung up. It can happen when they put their head through something, or try to, to reach the other side.

Well I ammsorry for no response I was not getting any notifications. They have more than plenty of room...in addition to their coop they have a 6'x15' covered run and 9 perches for 6 chickens. We were having issues with them not eating their food...so we switched back to what they had before and they are eating more of it now. And yes...michigan is cold right now. They huddle together very close at night.

Back
Top Bottom