Missing Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dirtygun, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Dirtygun

Dirtygun Chirping

Jun 20, 2019
    Sparta, TN
    One of my Silver Appleyard ducks has gone missing. We live in the country where homes have 6+ acres mostly in woods. Yesterday my largest duck went missing, we have searched around our home and neighbors woods and no sign of feathers or anything. We do have coyote and fox around and the ducks free range during the day and locked up at night. Why we we not find feathers?

2. FathertoFeathers

FathertoFeathers Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    Could have been a bird of prey. That would explain the lack of feathers.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

Also Coyote an Fox snatch an run. I had a chicken lost to a predator with no signs of anything either. It’s the price we pay for letting them live as natural as possible. Guaranteed your predator will be back.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Free-ranging has its risks. I don't do it for this reason. I have foxes and coyotes coming out in the day time here. I've even had a fox trotting across my front yard in the middle of the afternoon not too long ago. He turned, looked at me as if I was bothering him and just kept on going. They are pretty bold. Hawks and falcons are always cruising overhead too. I guess my point is locking them up at night is great but during the day there are many risks too. Oh, and snakes also will kill a baby. I lost a 4-week old runner to a king snake. Hard to guard against that! Just do the best you can. Free-ranging is a risk and just like Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say "it's always something!"

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: