Missing eggs - is she chucking them or do i have a problem?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Goat_Walker, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well Every day I have one or two eggs missing. Today I went to collect and my buff , who has the nest, was missing some eggs.

I usually place the fertile eggs form the other ucks under her and take the infertile into the fridge. Yesterday she had 6 eggs, and this morning she only had 3! I dont know if she has layed todays egg though, seeing as I left at about 7.

Two days ago I found a four foot rat snake skin in my barn, is he eating all my eggs, and in the process messing up my nest? Or do I have someone else intruding?

2. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    Put small light bulbs into the nest. If the problem is a snake, it will ingest them and die.

Could be though, that you have a hungry neighbor.

Rufus

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Interesting. I am intrigued. The snakes can't tell the difference?

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Golf balls also work.

5. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    Apparently not. After the hen has sat on the light bulb, it smells of her. Golf balls work also, but dead light bulbs are free, and I am kind of into recycling.

Dogs, skunks and oppossums will steal eggs also. Put a marked egg into the nest, and then watch and wait.

Rufus

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    I'd think the snake is the prime candidate, but other possibilities are rats and an egg-eater. A rat will not eat the shell, but your birds will clean up a broken shell automatically. Definitely suspect the snake but don't forget to look for other possible causes.

Good luck!

7. WonderWomanRox

WonderWomanRox Chirping

Jun 16, 2009
    NC
    Hi! I have the same problem. It seems I have fewer and fewer eggs. I think we probably have LOTS of snakes and I'll never be able to kill them all. Anyone know of ways to deter them? We're going to try and "fortify" the coop this weekend, but I know my girls are afraid of these monsters stealing their eggs and would like some kind of repellant.

Wish I had found this forum last year when we bought our girls!

8. thaokou21

thaokou21 Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    it could be a weasel too. They likes eggs and cut of small chickens heads.

9. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:My dad runs a pro ship, so we have buckets of old balls in the garage.

We toss 1-2 into each nest, and if some come up missing, we know we have an issue. The snakes, well it's the end for them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: