Missing eggs on hatch day!?

TheMic434

Chirping
Aug 25, 2022
Arrrrg! This is the third time I have tried hatching Cream Legbars. I had two hens that were broody and because of room, I put them in the same coop. It is 12' X 5'. I had it divided in half for safety but one of the hens got over the barrier and into the other's area and stayed there, so I took the barrier down so she could get back to her nest.

We candled 5 days before lockdown and Rocky the nice experienced mother had 7 put back under her because she is a little smaller and Zeus had 9 put under her. They got their same eggs back with a few extras from an incubator. I didn't switch the mom's eggs or anything. Yesterday was hatch day and I saw one chick under Rocky and both were sitting tight on their nests. Last night when I checked them before bed Zeus had 3 eggs next to her and I tucked those back under her.

This morning I saw the same one chick with Rocky and they were both sitting on their nests. My husband went out this afternoon and Rocky was sitting tight on her nest with 4 chicks and Zeus was up doing the mamma showing chicks food dance with no chicks and only one cold egg! !!!!!!

Rocky is small, a Barred Rock and Zeuse is a Maran. I can't believe that Rocky is hiding 16 eggs/chicks under her? And Zeus is fierce, she pecks and bites us every time we get near her nest. Rocky is a sweet gentle hen. I don't see how Rocky could have taken Zeus' eggs? Or babies?

I am so distraught! Also, We started with 14 cream legbar eggs that I paid a lot for and drove 6 hours to get, and then we added in some Azure and Wellsummer eggs as some of the legbars weren't viable. All the eggs were started a the same time. I just put 12 extra in an incubator and then put them under the moms at the last candle. And the 4 chicks that I can see don't look like legbars! one is 100% yellow- an Azure, 2 dark grey with white bellies? and one light brown/grey that might be a male legbar?

It is like the great spirit doesn't want me to have legbars? :(

And where are the 8 missing eggs?! Did a snake eat them?

It's actually true that hens can pick up eggs from other nests and transport them to their own. And especially, did you check under all of her fluff and wings for the chicks? They can crawl up into her feathers and hide there, even when she stands up and walks.

UPDATE: I'm at work. When my husband reported the eggs were missing this morning, I asked him to search for the eggs or chicks in the coop and under the hay. He said they were all gone. So, just now, at 3:30, he went out again and there were 6 eggs under Zeus! So I asked him to find the other eggs and they were hidden in the hay. He said that they were warm but not very warm. He thinks that she was keeping them the right temperature by putting them in the hay. I do not think this. I think that the hatching and chirping freaked her out and she moved the eggs that internally piped away from her.

I asked him to put them in the incubator. He put four under Rocky the other hen and is warming up the incubator. I am so bummed that I was not home to find those hidden eggs this morning. :(

Did he hear any peeping from the eggs that were found in the hay? My hen got off her nest a day early, so I put the remaining eggs in an incubator. They were cold when I found them, but cheeping. As soon as they warmed up in the incubator they stopped cheeping and the next morning the only viable egg had hatched just fine (others weren't fertile and I didn't know). So i think there's still hope. If they're warm enough, they won't cheep.

Crossing my fingers for you!!!

Did he hear any peeping from the eggs that were found in the hay? My hen got off her nest a day early, so I put the remaining eggs in an incubator. They were cold when I found them, but cheeping. As soon as they warmed up in the incubator they stopped cheeping and the next morning the only viable egg had hatched just fine (others weren't fertile and I didn't know). So i think there's still hope. If they're warm enough, they won't cheep.

Crossing my fingers for you!!!
He said he heard cheeping in one.

Hatch day was yesterday evening. My guess is they internally pipped last night. When I get home at 8pm, should I try and open the air pocket of the egg to see if they are still alive? I don't want them to suffocate. What should I do? They internally pipped so long ago? The other hen hatched her babies yesterday and today.

Last edited:
One of the Welsummer eggs hatched in the incubator. There is another Wellsummer and 4 either cream legbars or Azures left in the incubator. I'm getting ready for bed. I guess that is all I can do for now. Wait till morning.

Back
Top Bottom