Missing Eggs

Mmfarm119

Chirping
Jul 26, 2020
1 of my hens layed our first egg on Friday the 14th around noon. On Saturday, we had 2 eggs total. 1 around 7am and 1 around noon. Sunday thru yesterday (Wednesday the 19th) we received 1 egg around 7am. 2 days this week we have randomly had a freckled brown egg. I have 2 ISA Browns, 2 Barred Rocks and 1 Easter Egger. After doing some research, I learned that chickens will do a squat when you approach them if they are laying eggs. Both of my 19 week ISA Browns do this. My 17 week barred rocks are both a little skittish and arent into being held so im not sure if they do this behavior. My Easter Egger ive heard wont lay for another little while due to his breed and he doesnt do this kind of behavior. Today we have recieved no eggs at all. My chickens do free range in the yard and we done some searching in the yard to see if they are laying elsewhere but we dont see anything. Any ideas on why im not getting eggs? Where they could be? What could be going on? Thanks for your help!

Chickens don’t lay EVERY day, especially when they are new to it. It takes a bit to become “regular”. Also the squatting behavior starts a little before actual egg laying. To see for sure who has started laying check the pelvic bones.

Chickens don’t lay EVERY day, especially when they are new to it. It takes a bit to become “regular”. Also the squatting behavior starts a little before actual egg laying. To see for sure who has started laying check the pelvic bones.
Check the pelvic bones? Do explain 🤔

Another way to see who is laying is to check the combs. Laying hens will have combs and wattles that are much redder and more pronounced. A surefire way to see who is laying what is to take a clean finger with food dye and put it on their vent. The hen with the blue dye will have eggs with blue streaks on them. Just don't use red, I imagine it would be quite alarming.

What color are your eggs? My Barred rock didn't start laying until a full two weeks after the ISA Brown. The barred rock's egg should be lighter brown than the ISA Browns. If you expect they are laying then look under cars, trailer, and grown up fence lines.

Another way to see who is laying is to check the combs. Laying hens will have combs and wattles that are much redder and more pronounced. A surefire way to see who is laying what is to take a clean finger with food dye and put it on their vent. The hen with the blue dye will have eggs with blue streaks on them. Just don't use red, I imagine it would be quite alarming.
Interesting, I might have to try that. Thank you for the idea. 😊

Feel for the bones on either side of the vent. A laying hen will have these bones at least two fingers apart, they will be much closer together on a bird that has not laid yet. It is very obvious once you feel the difference. And if you are already getting some eggs you should be able to compare quite easily.

What color are you eggs? My Barred rock didn't start laying until a full two weeks after the ISA Brown. The barred rock's egg should be lighter than the ISA Browns. If you expect they are laying then look under cars, trailer, and grown up fence lines.
My eggs are brown and I have looked around everywhere they hang for eggs with no luck. Was wondering if anyone had eggs found out in the yard. They have layed in the boxes so why they would suddenly switch to a spot in the yard confuses me.

Feel for the bones on either side of the vent. A laying hen will have these bones at least two fingers apart, they will be much closer together on a bird that has not laid yet. It is very obvious once you feel the difference. And if you are already getting some eggs you should be able to compare quite easily.
Thank you for explaining this. I will try to test this out sometime today. 😊

Mine lay eggs wherever they feel like it (don't use them except to hatch and feed back to them) but mine will suddenly go to a new nesting spot, especially the pheonixes who go broody all the time.

My mixed Leghorn hen will lay in the nest box for a good week or two and then suddenly drop an egg in the middle of the path up to our house. One of my Japanese used to lay in front of the ramp every day.

Back
Top Bottom