missing eggs

missionarywife

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
My poor ladies stopped laying about 4 months ago. My husband has been horrid telling me that they are useless and that I need to butcher them. Tonight my son found 2 eggs stuck frozen between some wood in the wood pile. The wood pile is right next to where they lay. Can rats steal eggs? If so How do I get rid of the rats?

Rats can and do steal eggs. Poison is a good way to get rid of them. Just make sure that it's put someplace where your chickens or other animals can't get at it.

it is a weasel of some sort. I don't know how to get rid of it. I am sickened cause it got one of my young pullets yesterday. Today My 9 yr old saw it in the chicken house. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? My ducks started laying again but then stopped suddenly. I am sick of feeding preditors.

I think if it were rats that took your hens eggs, they would have eaten them, and would not have been found frozen in the woodpile.I may be wrong, but dont believe a rat would just leave the egg uneaten.
Sorry for your loss to the weasel, you'll need to secure your coop with rat wire.Weasels will get in through rather small holes if found. I've also found having a couple outdoor/barn type cats around helps with the smaller 4 legged predators..
Weasels aren't easy to trap, you may be able to live trap one with a live chicken as bait, done in a way as to protect the bait chicken.( in a seperate , very small meshed wire cage)...I've never done it, but read about someone here who has caught a weasel this way. my be in the achives somewhere....good luck...

Back
Top Bottom