missing eggs???

freeingup

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
I read a post from 2010 that was similar. The difference being...I have a coop on the ground with a totally enclosed and large run. The girls are only out in my yard when I come home from work & weekends. They lay in the am. About 6 weeks ago I saw an egg in the nest and thought I would pick it the following day when there were more. The following day not only did I have no additional eggs but the one I saw the day prior was gone.

There are never any shells. The hens are fine yet no eggs. I do not get it. So mystified.

Any ideas other than snakes. I have never seen a snake in the area I live.

Any feedback most welcome. Eggless in Seattle : (

No egg shells. The only egg shell I found was a year ago when I was trying to hatch eggs under a broody hen. At that time they did not have a covered run so were only out of the coop when I was home. I found the egg shell under my cedar tree. At that time I figured it was squirrels. Now I am just ???

welcome-byc.gif
That's a puzzle for sure, I know skunks will eat eggs, squirrels, blue jays, raccoons but, you would think they would leave some shell fragments. Is it possible your egg thief walks on two legs? Maybe a neighbor or kids in the area? Do you have a lock for the chicken run/coop gates or doors.? If that would stop your egg robber, then you know a human is involved.

Welcome to the site.

Missing eggs is a common problem we all have from time to time. Mostlt are due to 3 factors involved:
1. Either your own hen or rooster is eating its own eggs. Putting some styrofoam for the bird to chew on so it hates the white stuff. Turn the nest sideway so they don't see the egg unless the hen has to go around the nest to get into the nest for laying. Change the hen to different partner to isolate who causes the problem. Another trick you can use is knowing the time it lays and take it away immediately; once the hen is ready to set, then put it all back for her to enjoy the setting ... note: put them back under her body at night, don't let her see. Mixed some fake eggs (Solid) in the nest can discourage the bird from eating these.
2. Other varmints like coon, squirrels, Rats, skunks: Just set a trap using some tuna can meat ... set near the cage and enjoy the results. Move the cage away from the outer fence can help discouraging the varmints. One trick I learned is to have some Easter plastic eggs mixed in the nest. Either we put some broken glass inside; or w fish hook with a line tied into the side of the cage... that will take care of the snake.
3. The cheating people: could be some kids, or neighbor or some professional chicken thieves. Best shot is to have a dog running around the yard.

Only you can monitor and determine the true cause. Then use common sense or some tricks as suggested above. Best of luck my friend.

Just because you haven't seen a snake doesn't mean they aren't there but I'd put a lock on the coop if you don't have one already. Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Back
Top Bottom