Missing eye

Amp

Songster
9 Years
May 20, 2011
Alabama
I noticed today one of my chicks is missing an eye. It is around 8 weeks old and I have no idea how long it's been like this. It looks scabbed over but I notice some places around it's eye and neck that look like it's getting pecked. I really haven't noticed anyone picking on it so I don't know if it could be something else. Will it be okay with one eye? Any advice?

There's a product called vetericyn opthamalic gel that is available at feedstores, tractor supply and the like to help that eye heal over. I keep both that and the regular vetericyn wound spray gel on hand because I've seen it work miracles.

Will she be okay with one eye? Sure. I had a half-blind hen that did just fine. Being young, you might want to be sure she gets extra time at the feeder and/or some one on one feedings until she's learned to cope well with her disability. Having one eye is going to throw her depth perception off a bit so she may take longer to eat and can be pushed away from the feeder by unhindered birds.

She will be at a disadvantage against predators, especially the aerial kind, so keep that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom