Missing feathers. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbikings, May 1, 2017.

1. abbikings

abbikings New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    One of my silky bantam hens, about a year and a half old, has been losing feathers on her mid back and wings. Of my six hens, she is the only one exhibiting any feather loss. I have not seen her being picked on, but I have seen her preening her feathers around that spot on her back once in a while. We don't have a rooster. I used DE around the coop, but like I said, none of the other birds have any issues. I don't necessarily think it is a pest. Is this nutritional? I provide meal worms as treats, and they have a complete layer feed. She is a bit runty, so perhaps she's not had as much access to meal worm treats. It looks terrible, and after a couple weeks does not seem to be getting better. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CityKidChickens

CityKidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    she could be molting but other than that I don't know

3. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    I would say over mating but you said you don't have a rooster. So I'm not sure hope you find out.

4. pinknblackchaos

pinknblackchaos New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Michigan
    Just because you dont see picking doesnt mean its not happening. All except one of my hens has spots on their backs similar to this. I think the one with nice full feathers is picking at the rest. You just seem to have one chicken that is the victim.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by