Missing Feathers, Missing Eggs

It normal/common for broody's to pull their own feathers out.

Last edited:
IMG_7954.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG
IMG_7957.JPG
Here are some (not so good) pictures I grabbed this morning....

The first picture, the Easter eggers have some patches, but there's downy like feathers growing in, so I think the patches are from molt.

The second picture is the hen I'm concerned about. That red patch is on the front of her neck, she has the slightly bald patch on her back, but it's not as concerning, but I just noticed this morning, she is missing feathers on her rump and the skin is quite red.

The last is of the broody hen.

I'll check them for mites and lice tonight. Thanks so much for all of the help!

View attachment 1022062 View attachment 1022063 View attachment 1022064 Here are some (not so good) pictures I grabbed this morning....

The first picture, the Easter eggers have some patches, but there's downy like feathers growing in, so I think the patches are from molt.

The second picture is the hen I'm concerned about. That red patch is on the front of her neck, she has the slightly bald patch on her back, but it's not as concerning, but I just noticed this morning, she is missing feathers on her rump and the skin is quite red.

The last is of the broody hen.

I'll check them for mites and lice tonight. Thanks so much for all of the help!
I would check for bugs, I have an issue right now with mites, DE isn't working. I have Elector PSP, 1.8 teaspoons per gal. Said to be highly effective and will lest, no egg or meat withdraw. An 8 oz bottle is $146 counting tax. OUTCH. Permethrin 11% i believe is said to be good, and the natural stuff at TSC, Rural king and so on can be bought in concentrated bulk, much cheaper than the little spray bottles you buy. All of this can be bought on line.

Do I need to clean out the coop or can I just spray everything? And are the eggs safe to eat while I'm treating the chickens or should I get rid of them?

Do I need to clean out the coop or can I just spray everything? And are the eggs safe to eat while I'm treating the chickens or should I get rid of them?
YES, clean out coop, remove feed and water dispenser, spray everything, even the outside. Refill nest boxes when dry. Concentrate on chickens vent and under wings, get it to the skin, reapply as the directions say. The permethrin is cheap enough to use as a dip even. From everything I have read and what is on the labels, or in the specification page on line. Their is no egg withdraw from any of the 3 items I mentioned

Do you have any idea if it's safe to be used around pregnant women? I'm 23 weeks pregnant with #5 and I'm trying to figure out how to make this insect assault happen

Do you have any idea if it's safe to be used around pregnant women? I'm 23 weeks pregnant with #5 and I'm trying to figure out how to make this insect assault happen
please ask your dr. I would think an air mask and rubber gloves would do, but take the safe route even at the expense of the hens being itchy. Maybe get a friend to do it. but ASK THE DR. before using any chemical, other than the natural one sold at feed and stock supply stores. I can get the name if you wish.

Thank you! I'm heading out soon to check everyone (waiting until they're good and sleepy) so if it is mites and I need to go that route, I'll check TSC for the natural stuff and call the Dr about the spray. I'm brainstorming people who might be able to pitch in. I can't thank you (and everyone else) enough for all of your help!

OK, the stuff is called, Poultry Protector, and it can be bought in concentrated form to mix what you want. It says non toxic, and can be used on any age. You can call the manufacture, made by Manna Pro. and ask for an MSDS sheet on it. This sheet has all warnings and any critical information needed. It is an all natural product. How well it works, I don't really know. I have moved on to the elector PSP as this is a once and done thing and can be done 14 days later with no egg or meat withdrawal time. This stuff is costly, but 8 oz. will last forever at 2 (1.8) tsp per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom