Missing feathers on a hen's back

Serama Newbee

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 12, 2011
Unincorporated Rockford
Hey there, I have been noticing that throughout this year I have been having more hens than usual missing feathers for longer than usual on their back. I have thought this was because of a serious mite problem, but sure my chickens have a mite or two, but being completely free-ranged, mites have not been a problem. I have other caged chickens that have more mites, and sometimes have less of a problem with missing back feathers. Also, on my Marans hens, they are also missing feathers under their wing and a few inches to either side of the anal area.
Any ideas on what's going on, and what I can do to fix it? They look kind of bad then I have egg customers come over, and there's these half-naked chickens wandering all over the place..
hmm.png
lol.png

Thanks

I have a Marans hen and a black sexlink hen with these issues as well. I don't know what their problem is; out of 13 hens they are the only ones who have naked back spots! I blamed my rooster, but I am positive mine do not have mites of any kind. They did get feather lice about a month ago, but I treated it and that wouldn't explain why only these two hens seem to have messed up saddle areas. Is your rooster to hen ratio good? Maybe these hens are getting too much "attention" from him?

You could always use those hen saver saddles on your naked-back ones. ;) It won't help for the vent area baldness but at least it will cover up the bare spots on the back, for aesthetic purposes!

I am almost positive it is not my rooster. I have one large delaware rooster that looks over all 34 hens. When he mounts, he grabs the neck or head feathers. He is so large he hardly has to make too much contact with the hens when he does do his thing.
Any other possibilities?
idunno.gif

An extremely large rooster would be exactly what I'd suspect. I bet the baldest ones are at the bottom of the flock's pecking order, and the most submissive. His "favorites"

Back
Top Bottom