Missing feathers on chicks wing

RebekahMarie

Chirping
Jan 20, 2022
North Carolina, US
I’m a newbie! I went and got some Mills Fleurs yesterday from someone on Craigslist and the chick (pullet or roo, I don’t even know yet) has some feathers missing on one of its wings and it looks a little scabby too. But dry.
Is this probably from being picked?
Is there anything I should do for it other than watch it?
This is the best pic I could manage.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Attachments

• 2D790485-2259-45DB-9F34-DC1A13ECD35C.jpeg
    2D790485-2259-45DB-9F34-DC1A13ECD35C.jpeg
    781.1 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to BYC! It does look like another chicken has possibly been picking the feathers out of this chick since there is a bit of blood. Spending time watching your chicks will help confirm what is going on here. Since you just got them yesterday, this probably happened before you got them. Chickens will pick at each other like this when they don't have enough space to run away from more dominant chickens. How big is their coop and run? How many chickens do you have? Are there large objects in the run that allow the chickens to hide?

I have 11 chickens plus now 3 bantams. We have a roughly 10x6 coop with a 25x25 covered run. Originally I wanted free range but we had 2 chickens disappear so we made the run.
I’m definitely keeping an eye to see that he’s not picked anymore, here in his new home… but so far the mature rooster (his dad, I guess) is keeping everyone else at a distance and doing a good job of protecting them. The 3 are sticking close.
Since everyone agrees he’s a he… I will probably need to find him a new coop. Right?

I have 11 chickens plus now 3 bantams. We have a roughly 10x6 coop with a 25x25 covered run. Originally I wanted free range but we had 2 chickens disappear so we made the run.
I’m definitely keeping an eye to see that he’s not picked anymore, here in his new home… but so far the mature rooster (his dad, I guess) is keeping everyone else at a distance and doing a good job of protecting them. The 3 are sticking close.
Since everyone agrees he’s a he… I will probably need to find him a new coop. Right?
That sounds like a good set-up for a flock that size; I would bet that the feather-pulling happened before you got him. Whether or not two roosters will tolerate each other in a flock that size will depend on the individual roosters. I don't generally keep roosters, so hopefully others with more experience in this area will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom