missing feathers on my hen!

I just got 2 hens from a local girl. She brought them to me yesterday. I noticed that their feathers near their tail were looking thin. I asked if that was rooster damage but she said no she just thinks they're ruffled from traveling. I did give them a quick look over and didn't see signs of lice or mites, but I need to do a better inspection. They both have scaley leg mites which I'm treating. Currently they are nervous for me to hold them but seem to have sweet dispositions. I also have them separated from my leghorn. If you can tell anything from the photos I'd appreciate your input. Sorry their not better photos.

Can't see anything from the pictures. Usually rooster damaged feathers or missing feathers are located on the back lower half and sometimes the head or neck area. So, if that is where they are missing feathers, I'd say that's the likely cause.

Well, I see your picture, but I'm not really seeing much from the hen. I could be from a rooster. I would give it a few months and see if they fill back in. If they keep losing them, they are either pulling them from each other or molting. Although molting really isn't feather loss from one spot. I really can't think of anything else.

Thank you for your help. I got a better look at it today. The feathers almost look like they've been cut in two. I didn't see any lice and I looked the other night and didn't see mites. Both hens came from a farm that had roosters and seeing that they both have identical patches I'm leaning toward the rooster. The Wyandotte has been laying a egg every day and one did appear to have been fertilized. I've had them almost a week and they are adjusting well, however the RIR hasn't laid an egg yet, hum. I guess stress? She too is just over a year old. I appreciate all your information :D

Thank you for your help. I got a better look at it today. The feathers almost look like they've been cut in two. I didn't see any lice and I looked the other night and didn't see mites. Both hens came from a farm that had roosters and seeing that they both have identical patches I'm leaning toward the rooster. The Wyandotte has been laying a egg every day and one did appear to have been fertilized. I've had them almost a week and they are adjusting well, however the RIR hasn't laid an egg yet, hum. I guess stress? She too is just over a year old. I appreciate all your information :D

Yes, I would give her time. A move will stress a chicken and they won't lay until they are entirely comfortable with their surroundings. Then she may start her molt and won't lay during that time either. Just have to wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom