Missing feathers on neck under beak

Cellomama2

Songster
5 Years
Jun 11, 2017
Wisconsin
I don't know whats going on here. I don't see any bugs and only two of my bantam ameraucanas look like this none of the other chickens look like this so i was assuming it was bullying. I was debating about rehoming them since they seem to hate it here and still refuse to go into the coop on their own. I don't want to be rehoming them though if they are sick so is this bullying or something else?
IMG_20180221_163354211.jpg IMG_20180221_163351025.jpg

We just finished dealing with mites so I've been checking and I don't see any. This started happening after the evil little things were gone. The one in the picture actually has a red mark on her beak now and my husband saw one of her sisters attacking her the other day. This is very out of the ordinary and there hasn't been anything this bad before because I would have pulled them a long time ago. I was thinking of getting one of those blocks for them to pick at to maybe break up their day even more. I try to change things in the run every so often and give them testst they have to work for a little. Even the bantam speckled Sussex I got with them is going after them now. What would cause everyone in the flock to suddenly attack one or two?

These are pics I got today. They are very shy and just try to grab food and run before someone pecks at them. I hate seeing them like this and it's been months so they all should be adjusted by now. They are so beautiful and I was so excited for the blue/green eggs but I can't watch an animal being stressed out like this.

IMG_20180225_163837750.jpg IMG_20180225_163759771.jpg IMG_20180225_163435380.jpg

:frowtry putting blue dye on the red zones and give second feeding spot to de-fuse the feeding situation. Also hanging something thats irresistible such as an ear of fresh half-shucked corn to keep those peckers sidetracked should help.

Last edited:
So sorry they are like that. They are so beautiful! I just got done with my girls mites about a month ago. Has your flock ever had Mareks? I raise a bunch of valuable birds that I wouldn't want to get it. I have not had it yet. The only problem is my mom. I am going to hatch out some more chickens for the hatch along and not sure she would let me get those two. :hit
@Kessel23 may want them.
I'll see what my mom says.

Maybe try spraying on an anti-pick solution from a feed store. Maybe the others will leave the neck/s alone in these sweet natured ones, that might give them time to stand up to them. Best wishes.

So sorry they are like that. They are so beautiful! I just got done with my girls mites about a month ago. Has your flock ever had Mareks? I raise a bunch of valuable birds that I wouldn't want to get it. I have not had it yet. The only problem is my mom. I am going to hatch out some more chickens for the hatch along and not sure she would let me get those two. :hit
@Kessel23 may want them.
I'll see what my mom says.

I honestly have no idea about the Mareks. We had some die last year with symptoms that looked like Mareks but I never got them tested and no other chickens have showed any symptoms since I lost them, even the ones I brought in from other places that I would think would have picked it up. The ones I lost were all from the same hatchery, so lessons learned about where I get them from. I honestly forgot about this because I haven't seen it pop up since so I was assuming it was something else. Thats probably a good reason not to rehome them. You'll have to look at the video and decide but I wouldn't want to possibly spread Mareks to anyone else because I was devastated to find out that it was even a possibility. (and I lost my favorite chick) I'm sorry.

This is the original link I posted about the first one that got sick:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lose-of-balance-appetite-open-mouth-breathing.1186833/

Back
Top Bottom