Missing feathers on rear?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebloc, Feb 4, 2017.

1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hello

About a week ago I noticed feathers missing from one of our chicken's rear sides. I meant to post this a while ago but was extremely busy and never got to it.

The feathers are starting to grow back a little bit, especially around the sides.

Other chickens have shown no or little attention to pecking at this particular chicken, however they do look at it at times and are tempted to.

The other chickens have shown no signs to this extent of loss of feathers, however there are a bit on the sides of some. They're puffed out a bit, but the skin is not evident.

What would be the reasoning behind why this would happen? The chicken with the problem shows little reaction to the loss of feathers, however in places it looks a bit bloody. This happened in the first few days, but I have not seen any blood appear since.

We bought blue-kote, sprayed it for the first few days, then the chicken ran away in fear of us spraying it.

Feathers are growing back. Slowly. I have been giving them romaine, squash, and various gourds which seems to help.

I would quarantine the chicken, but I have no space to and since there is no evidence of bullying among the other 4, I see no reason to panic to that extent.

Temperatures have been rising and lowering between the high 20s and mid 40s.

Pictures are a little graphic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any info or help you can provide.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    She's looking very swollen below her vent. I would be concerned that she might have ascites(water belly) or possible internal laying. How old is she? If feathers are growing back then that suggests it's moult but that swollen abdomen needs to be checked out, unless it's just the camera angle. The easiest way to catch her to examine her is by picking her off the roost at night and compare with the other hens. Hope I'm wrong about it.

Regards

Barbara

3. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    We got them as chicks in May. Pretty young. I have seen a couple curious and peck at her, but not hard and not frequently, once or twice. We have cameras set up in the run and coop, so.
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by