Missing feathers with yellow scabs on skin. Wet vent on drake. Swollen foot.

Thank you Miss Lydia!

I don't see him mount Mei very often, he usually seems to prefer the muscovies (who don't like him). He does spend a lot of time with her though, they're usually together. I'll see if I can figure out a way to separate him to give her a break, see if it makes a difference. He actually doesn't mate in water, I've never seen him do it, always on land. The girls will mount each other in the pond but he just never does.

I can't see any parasites on them, we have a spray for lice and mites and things like that so I can just do that anyway. They are around wild birds a lot, there's a ton of brush turkeys where I live, and there's no real way I can find to keep them away, they come to steal the duck's food and eat their eggs if they can find any nests. There's also wild ducks which occasionally come into the garden.
His vent looks normal, nothing sticking out of it, just dirty and wet. I'll try to make sure he spends more time in the water, his feathers do feel stiff.

I'll check what feed options the store has next time I go, the only one I've seen before that's specifically for waterfowl is duck and goose finisher, which I assume isn't ideal for egg layers and pets. They do get oyster shell, not constant access but I give them a small bowl of it a couple times a day, and we also dry their egg shells in the oven and crush them up to feed back to them, which they seem to really like.

I can definitely do the epsom salt soak at least daily, they're not hard to catch, although they don't tolerate being held for too long. I don't know if I can easily get clear iodine, options are more limited in general in Australia, there may be somewhere online I could order it and I'll check in stores. Will normal iodine along with the epsom salt soaks work at least for now? Or is it important for it to be the clear iodine?

I really appreciate the help! :)
I know other parts of the world have different options so use the reg iodine till you find out if you can get the clear. I tried reg once on one of my chicken hens didn't work near as well as the clear. it's the ammonia in the clear that really helps with the bumble. It's inexpensive here too so hopefully you can find it.

As far as your drake he may not be bathing to keep himself clean their poo is wet anyway and laying down and the wet poo may be his problem. I don't know if your climate is wet but sometimes there is a parasite problem[ worms ] so maybe if you have access to a vet you could take in some poo and have them check to make sure worms aren't the culprit.

Actually I use neem oil to keep mites out of my coops and duck/geese houses. From the Neem tree. It's a safe product to use and since mites like to stay in the cracks and crevices in our birds houses I just spray every thing down and let it dry for the day before letting my birds in for the night. Spraying top and bottom of roosts too if you have chickens.

As for feed I wanted to find a NON GMO feed and I did but they don't carry an all flock so I have been buying Broiler and Layer and mixing the two. Broiler is very similar to the All Flock Purina makes so I use it. That way my girls get layer and my boys aren't getting so much calcium plus they also have free choice Oyster shell. These are chicken feeds by the way no water fowl feed in my area. So look at the label of the finisher it may be okay to use for your birds.

I don't think any of us can keep wild birds -turkeys etc away when we have our own birds and food out for them it's just the way it is. [I enjoy having them around actually]
smile.png

Hi all!
My ducks seem to be having lots of issues at the moment, I didn't want to make separate threads for all of them so hopefully this is alright.

I'll just go in the order I listed them in the title.

First is one of my Cayuga girls, Mei. I noticed her feather condition has been getting worse for a while, she soaks up water a lot more than she used to, the back of her neck is very scruffy. I wasn't too concerned, thought maybe she's going through a molt. But the other day I noticed between her wings she's missing a lot of feathers, her skin looks dry and unpleasant with yellow scabs on it, she has some feathers growing in there too.

I can try to get a better picture if necessary, this was after I brought her in for a bath so she's a bit wet. I don't know what it could be, do mites cause anything like this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! She's still acting perfectly normal, she doesn't swim a lot but she had a great time in the bath, ate up some peas very excitedly.

Next is my drake, Kiki. His feather condition in general isn't great, his wings droop down, his feathers often feel stiff, he soaks up water too, but he won't go in the pond unless you put him in. Today I noticed his vent area is wet and dirty though, and the feathers around it seem like they're broken or something, downy and brown instead of black. He mounts the girls pretty often, although he's not great at it, I don't think he fertilizes their eggs. Is there anything I can do for him? Why would he be dirty and wet there?

And lastly, one of my Muscovy girls, Shiro. She was limping a few days ago, so I looked at her foot and she has a dark spot on the bottom, like a callus, but it's very swollen, including on the top

Not the best picture but you can see her right foot has that swollen area

And that's the underside of it.
It feels a little warmer than her other leg but it isn't significant. I don't know if I should be concerned about it, is there something I should be doing or just wait and see if it gets better?

If there's any other details I haven't included, please ask, and I can get better pictures if needed too.
They're fed a mixture of budgie seed (recommended by a vet) and a coarse layer mix for chickens. Their main treats are peas and tomatoes. They eat plenty of greenery, love comfrey, they spend a lot of time foraging. They have constant access to a pond (with a hydroponics system to keep the water clean), and they get fresh water in multiple buckets daily.
I have access to a vet with good knowledge of ducks if needed, he saved one of our girls before when she was egg bound, and he's also said we can call or email with any concerns.

I appreciate any help or ideas! Thank you :)
Hi, I know this was posted quite some time ago but I was wondering if you ever found out what the yellow scabby stuff was or how you treated it?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Stacy

I know other parts of the world have different options so use the reg iodine till you find out if you can get the clear. I tried reg once on one of my chicken hens didn't work near as well as the clear. it's the ammonia in the clear that really helps with the bumble. It's inexpensive here too so hopefully you can find it.

As far as your drake he may not be bathing to keep himself clean their poo is wet anyway and laying down and the wet poo may be his problem. I don't know if your climate is wet but sometimes there is a parasite problem[ worms ] so maybe if you have access to a vet you could take in some poo and have them check to make sure worms aren't the culprit.

Actually I use neem oil to keep mites out of my coops and duck/geese houses. From the Neem tree. It's a safe product to use and since mites like to stay in the cracks and crevices in our birds houses I just spray every thing down and let it dry for the day before letting my birds in for the night. Spraying top and bottom of roosts too if you have chickens.

As for feed I wanted to find a NON GMO feed and I did but they don't carry an all flock so I have been buying Broiler and Layer and mixing the two. Broiler is very similar to the All Flock Purina makes so I use it. That way my girls get layer and my boys aren't getting so much calcium plus they also have free choice Oyster shell. These are chicken feeds by the way no water fowl feed in my area. So look at the label of the finisher it may be okay to use for your birds.

I don't think any of us can keep wild birds -turkeys etc away when we have our own birds and food out for them it's just the way it is. [I enjoy having them around actually]
smile.png

We use DuMor All-Flock for feed, our ducks seem to enjoy it more that the Nutrena. Our feed store only carries the Nutrena All Flock so we go to Tractor Supply for the DuMor. I do hope your ducks get better. We had the start of bumblefoot on one of our ducks and used the epsom salt soaks, which she actually enjoyed and would lay her head on my shoulder while we soaked her feet in the bucket of really warm water with epsom salt, we also treated it with clear iodine (Walmart), and our neighbor down the street, who keeps chickens and ducks suggested we give her penicillin, which we could get from our local feed store, since it was just starting we didn’t opt to start the penicillin. It looked as if the bumblefoot had healed in less than 2 weeks. It wasn’t warm to the touch nor had it gotten really swollen yet, just the black callous, which we were able to peel off easily within 5-6 days of epsom salt soaks; there was no pus in the area. Sadly, Goldie passed away a few days later; we do NOT believe it had anything to do with the bumblefoot problem she had, and couldn’t get her to the vet emergency room in time. She passed within 30 minutes of us preparing to take her, we had to put the other ducks in their houses and make sure they all had clean food and water and I had to run to Walmart to grab dog food, which is across the highway from our home (less than 2 mins away). As I returned home and took Goldie from my husband and sat down while he took the couple things out the front seat, she seized and stopped breathing. I tried CPR and grabbed my stethoscope to check for a heartbeat and there was none. It was as if she waited till I got home to say goodbye before she passed. It took maybe 30 mins to get the other ducks in their houses and my run to Walmart, the vet ER is an hour drive away. We live in a small town and there isn’t an avian or farm animal vet nearby, only in Baton Rouge at the college. Someone on the forum told me that ducks are very good at hiding when they’re ill, and this I do believe and it’s what happened with Goldie; now that I look back, there were small signs, her not eating as much as she usually did, her not wanting to be social with the other ducks, mainly due to 2 of my other drakes who would constantly hound her to mate, we did separate those two from Goldie & Midnight when we noticed it getting out of hand. I can say that your male that stays with the female may very well be mating her once their in their enclosure for the night. Goldie wouldn’t get in the pool in her house when Midnight was there, and my husband did catch him mounting her a few times in the house, and Midnight always mounted her in the pool. Keeping drakes and hens apart, especially during mating season is very difficult. When all my ducks are out together, I spend most of my time, chasing off 2 of my 3 drakes from the other hens, who don’t want to be bothered with them, yet lol. Most of the time they can outrun them but sometimes they get caught and put in timeout. There really should be a Sex Addicts for drakes or something; I would give anything to find any solution to curbing their sex drive, even permanently, our drakes were part of our original 4 ducks, and we can’t bare to give them away.

Hi all!
My ducks seem to be having lots of issues at the moment, I didn't want to make separate threads for all of them so hopefully this is alright.

I'll just go in the order I listed them in the title.

First is one of my Cayuga girls, Mei. I noticed her feather condition has been getting worse for a while, she soaks up water a lot more than she used to, the back of her neck is very scruffy. I wasn't too concerned, thought maybe she's going through a molt. But the other day I noticed between her wings she's missing a lot of feathers, her skin looks dry and unpleasant with yellow scabs on it, she has some feathers growing in there too.

I can try to get a better picture if necessary, this was after I brought her in for a bath so she's a bit wet. I don't know what it could be, do mites cause anything like this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! She's still acting perfectly normal, she doesn't swim a lot but she had a great time in the bath, ate up some peas very excitedly.

Next is my drake, Kiki. His feather condition in general isn't great, his wings droop down, his feathers often feel stiff, he soaks up water too, but he won't go in the pond unless you put him in. Today I noticed his vent area is wet and dirty though, and the feathers around it seem like they're broken or something, downy and brown instead of black. He mounts the girls pretty often, although he's not great at it, I don't think he fertilizes their eggs. Is there anything I can do for him? Why would he be dirty and wet there?

And lastly, one of my Muscovy girls, Shiro. She was limping a few days ago, so I looked at her foot and she has a dark spot on the bottom, like a callus, but it's very swollen, including on the top

Not the best picture but you can see her right foot has that swollen area

And that's the underside of it.
It feels a little warmer than her other leg but it isn't significant. I don't know if I should be concerned about it, is there something I should be doing or just wait and see if it gets better?

If there's any other details I haven't included, please ask, and I can get better pictures if needed too.
They're fed a mixture of budgie seed (recommended by a vet) and a coarse layer mix for chickens. Their main treats are peas and tomatoes. They eat plenty of greenery, love comfrey, they spend a lot of time foraging. They have constant access to a pond (with a hydroponics system to keep the water clean), and they get fresh water in multiple buckets daily.
I have access to a vet with good knowledge of ducks if needed, he saved one of our girls before when she was egg bound, and he's also said we can call or email with any concerns.

I appreciate any help or ideas! Thank you :)
Hi!

Hope all your ducks are well and happy!
May I ask what happened with Mei? My duck is experiencing the exact same thing. I just thought she was moulting but had a closer look now as it looked like a specific patch persisted and it’s yellow and scaly, and is extending down the side too, under her wing.

Thanks

Hi!

Hope all your ducks are well and happy!
May I ask what happened with Mei? My duck is experiencing the exact same thing. I just thought she was moulting but had a closer look now as it looked like a specific patch persisted and it’s yellow and scaly, and is extending down the side too, under her wing.

Thanks
:welcome
Can you post pictures? possibly mating injury?

:welcome
Can you post pictures? possibly mating injury?
D63EA5CA-1024-4EBF-8E3F-D4EBDEFC1E81.jpeg
D63EA5CA-1024-4EBF-8E3F-D4EBDEFC1E81.jpeg

Thanks for your reply! This is the central bit but it extends down to the left under her wing. She is a 1yr old now. I have 2 males and 6 females. It hasn’t seemed too aggressive but they are all between 9months-1year. 3 of them (all 9 month old females) have only been introduced 2 months ago so maybe the males are still adjusting to the new ratio or to the new ducks and are being aggressive?

It could be from the drakes nails. You could let her soak in a nice Epsom salt bath a dish pan works best so they don’t drink the water. And watch to see if she maybe getting too much attention from the drakes.

It could be from the drakes nails. You could let her soak in a nice Epsom salt bath a dish pan works best so they don’t drink the water. And watch to see if she maybe getting too much attention from the drakes.
Thank you! I’ll try that! Fingers crossed she’ll be okay. She’s my best little layer

Back
Top Bottom