Missing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mstkseavey, Sep 7, 2013.

1. mstkseavey

mstkseavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    I have an EE who is low in the pecking order. She is missing some feathers on her head due to a rooster before I got her and then my top hen. The feathers are missing but no blood. Her skin is slick. :(. Will those feathers ever grow back? I have put some Vetermyacin on it. Should I treat it with antibiotic or anything?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They may grow in in a couple of weeks, but at least by the next molt they should come in.

3. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    When hens molt so they loose all their feathers? How long does it take for a molt cycle? Do they loose a few at a time or go naked? Is there a season for molting? Can you tell I am a new chicken momma? Lol

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  5. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    How old are they when they start this molting business? I can't wait to read the link! Thank you!

6. mstkseavey

Jun 4, 2013
    Belleville, IL
    Great read. Thank you for sharing. My girls about about 20-24 weeks and I have not noticed anything extreme in the molting department. I am hoping they will lay before they molt!! I haven't gotten a single egg yet! And now with the decreased light from early sun downs... Not sure I will get eggs! :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by