Missing Feathers

CreoleChick18

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2014
City of Central, LA
I just purchased 10 3-week old chicks from a local Ma & Pa hardware store. Two Buff Orpingtons, which were housed in one pen, and 8 Ameraucunas, which were housed in a different pen.
Almost all of the Ameraucunas have feathers missing on their backs...bald spots. Could this be from them pecking each other? Does not seem like disease. Should I treat in some way??

It could be from them pecking due to overcrowding and / or boredom. They usually eat the tails off also.

I would watch them, make sure they have access 24/7 to water & food. Make sure they are not overcrowded.

And also do a check for mites, and lice. If no sign of mites or lice, I wouldn't treat them, just watch and make sure they are not pecking at each other.

Great advice. You are probably right about the overcrowding. The store was selling them at 10 for $30. They seem really happy right now they have lots of food and fresh water.

Good deal! Mine got bored one day while I was at work, when I got home they had eaten each others tails down to the skin. It was showing blood on some of them. My DH made them a chicken tractor. I make sure they always have water and have had no other problems. I have a buff orpington too and we love her! She got so big, so quick. We don't have Ameraucanas, but we do have Easter Eggers that were sold from the feed store marked as Araucanas. I later found out the feed stores, even the hatcheries frequently mismark the Easter Eggers and sell them as Araucanas & Ameraucanas. Doesn't bother me that I have Easter Eggers. I just wanted colored eggs.

I'm going to go back to the store tomorrow and recheck the spelling of the name. I'm beginning to wonder if I misread the label.
I do agree with you, I just want colorful eggs.
I have French Black Copper Marans on order but the supplier has a backlog on orders.

OK, I discovered that my Amerucana chicks are Easter Eggers. That is OK, but I have discovered that one of them is pecking all the other chicks to the point of injury.
They are 6 weeks old now and she has pecked one chicks tail off and left her bloody. After I removed the injured chick, the offender has started focusing on the other chicks even more. Should I remove the trouble maker??

Back
Top Bottom