1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mosaicmama, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mosaicmama

mosaicmama New Egg

Jul 19, 2013
    I have a chicken who has a bald spot where her wings connect to her back, on both sides. You can see stubs of the feathers poking out, but it is just the short quill with no feather on it. I have just noticed that another chicken is developing the same pattern. I have never seen either pick at themselves or any other chickens peck at them. They have a very large area and seem to get along well and are over one year old. We do have a rooster, but he is our sweetest and most timid bird and he never mounts the hens (odd duck!). Any idea what this might be from or how to prevent it and help the feathers grow back? Thanks!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It sounds as if they are beginning their first moult...a natural phenomenen... are you by chance seeing feathers on the floor of the chicken coop ? By your description it sounds as if the "pin feathers" are coming in...again that is part of the process after a moult...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by