1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Missing for 24 hours - we found her!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Wildsky, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    One of my little Mille Fleur D'Uccle's went missing yesterday, she wasn't in the coop at close up time and we searched everywhere for her.

We found her today, stuck in a head down position between the horse feeder and the wall. The horsefeeder is a home-made wooden thing that can hold an entire square bale.

Popcorn was pale, her comb was grey and I thought she was dead! Hubby ripped the feeder off the wall, and I brought Popcorn in.

I wrapped her in a towel, fed her water with sugar at first and then beat an egg mixed with water and fed that to her on a teaspoon. She perked up quickly, her comb poofed out and looked pinker and fatter...

We put her in a cardboard box, with a piece of wood to roost on and food and water, at first she couldn't stand upright and kept falling over, but she soon got it - and started eating and drinking on her own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I covered the dog's crate with a blanket to make her feel more secure (the dog and cat kept going to stick their nosy noses in)

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I am so glad you found her!! They can get themselves in all sorts of predicaments!

3. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Great rescue!

4. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Way to go!!! I wonder what she was up to I hope she makes it.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Thanks guys!

When its cold here all the chickens go into the horse barn when we open up in the morning and wait for the hay to be served... they pick out the dried out insects and the horse eats the hay. I often see them all lined up on the feeder waiting for serving time...
    She either fell down between there or was bumped or ?

I thought she might have gone broody as I didn't see feathers or anything anywhere...
    My hubby came home from work and said he had thought about it at lunch time and he hadn't looked behind the feeder!!! And then I heard him yell for me to "GET IN HERE"

I think she'll be fine - probably by tomorrow, once she's eaten and had plenty to drink. I'll give her more egg in the morning after the kids are in school and see how she's doing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG] for Popcorn!! She was saved!!!!!!!!!

Glad he found her!! Poor girl!

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    We needed a little good news.
    We had two dogs attack in May - lost one of my RIR and had my buff girl Maggie in the house for a month.
    Lost one of my Araucana girls to a raccoon about a month ago (we got 3 raccoons in return)
    Then my only little mutt girl Creamer drowned in the horse water bucket a few weeks back...
    Just been a horrible year for us. [​IMG]

Popcorn will be ok! She's a tough little cookie. Not used to being handled, we were given the four Mille's when they were around 19 weeks old and they hadn't been handled much at all.

I must say, my daughter hasn't sat in one spot for so long in ... well forever! [​IMG] she sat holding Popcorn while I fed her etc.. then I got dinner ready and she was still sitting holding Popcorn!

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Sounds like Popcorn is getting the TLC that she needs. It's nice to read a story with such a happy ending. [​IMG]

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for Popcorn. Those little D'Uccles are so adorable.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm glad you found her in time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by