Missing girl came home

Wainbowmudd

Songster
Jul 19, 2020
Florida
My Betty girl came home! Well we found her through the grapevine and brought her back home. She was gone 28 days but ended up at someone’s house who has chickens and they homed and fed her, what their chickens would allow anyway, they said their chickens didn’t like her and when she got home she ate a LOT. Her comb and wattles grew so much while she was gone and she began squatting for them. We got her home last week and today she laid her and our first egg!! What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift! I knew she would be our first if she came back. Still not sure what breed she is but my best guess is New Hampshire red but her egg looks quite different than I thought it would. It does have a heavy bloom but it looks greenish tan under it. Thoughts? Maybe just a barnyard mix?

6039D093-78F0-4FCC-9405-F0C6C6D3F95F.jpeg
63A89052-EFA7-4983-BFC4-91B8E26B51AE.jpeg
2A74614E-8C4F-410D-A32F-ACCE745767A2.jpeg
492E7CFC-6661-4D45-8467-1E0819451831.jpeg
9D339BA3-96AA-443D-A60F-61F2C10B420D.jpeg
BC2B1A17-C341-48BA-A989-CC4EAFD88EFF.jpeg

My Betty girl came home! Well we found her through the grapevine and brought her back home. She was gone 28 days but ended up at someone’s house who has chickens and they homed and fed her, what their chickens would allow anyway, they said their chickens didn’t like her and when she got home she ate a LOT. Her comb and wattles grew so much while she was gone and she began squatting for them. We got her home last week and today she laid her and our first egg!! What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift! I knew she would be our first if she came back. Still not sure what breed she is but my best guess is New Hampshire red but her egg looks quite different than I thought it would. It does have a heavy bloom but it looks greenish tan under it. Thoughts? Maybe just a barnyard mix?

View attachment 2426494View attachment 2426495View attachment 2426496View attachment 2426497View attachment 2426498View attachment 2426499
tenorpok.gif

Congratulations on your girl coming home!!! :clap :ya:celebrate:wee

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I see Welsummer and New Hampshire Red. Obviously the green egg says EE is in the mix. I'd say either a Welsummer and an EE mixed, took the looks of the Welsummer, then their chick mixed with a NHR. Or vice versa. It started with a NHR with an EE, then with a Welsummer. Either way, I'd say that either a grandparent or even possiblely a great grandparent was definitely an EE. The blue pigment was a strong gene and mixed with the brown pigment, and caused the green egg. There is a slight possibility that the supposed Welsummer, was a Single Comb Brown Leghorn, and that's what helped preserve the blue gene to the NHR, then to your girl, again, producing the green egg. When blue and brown pigment egg layers mix you get a green to an olive green egg. It depends on how strong each pigment gene is to get the most of each color.

Congratulations on your girl coming home!!! :clap :ya:celebrate:wee

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I see Welsummer and New Hampshire Red. Obviously the green egg says EE is in the mix. I'd say either a Welsummer and an EE mixed, took the looks of the Welsummer, then their chick mixed with a NHR. Or vice versa. It started with a NHR with an EE, then with a Welsummer. Either way, I'd say that either a grandparent or even possiblely a great grandparent was definitely an EE. The blue pigment was a strong gene and mixed with the brown pigment, and caused the green egg. There is a slight possibility that the supposed Welsummer, was a Single Comb Brown Leghorn, and that's what helped preserve the blue gene to the NHR, then to your girl, again, producing the green egg. When blue and brown pigment egg layers mix you get a green to an olive green egg. It depends on how strong each pigment gene is to get the most of each color.

Thank you for that!!

View attachment 2426494View attachment 2426495View attachment 2426496View attachment 2426497View attachment 2426498View attachment 2426499

Back
Top Bottom