Tarynj

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2021
So I have several chickens who are losing feathers just
on their heads..
They will be a year in August so I don't think it's molting. I've checked their wings and vent for lice or mites and not seeing anything nor are they losing feathers else where... I did deep clean their coop today and pressure washed it & covered in DE to be safe including all the roosting bars. I do have permethrin on hand if needed...wondering if it's be they are broody and the others are fighting for the nesting boxes… or if their are bullies. We have had a pretty intense weather change, cold to hot hot and back to cold again. It's only happening to my australorps who are lower in the pecking order.
Any
92C588EB-46FA-4A5F-8E86-3D8C1DFCDBEE.jpeg
F3D4CEEB-4AE7-4786-A0F8-861F06A94BC9.png
ideas?

How many birds in how much space? If you don't have a rooster then that looks like feather picking and may be happening on the roosts. If blood is drawn, it will just get worse. They may be over crowded or you may have a bully.
We have 16 chickens that free range in 1.5 acres. They did get shut in the run for a couple days because of a dead animal nearby that attracted a many hawks. I wonder if that’s why. No roosters.

Back
Top Bottom