missing head

The birds (during that particular incident) were fine and the owl didn't hurt any that day. He was released to come back and hunt another day. Indeed, he took advantage of that opportunity too.

hinjk,
Your pen looks just like mine, with chain link sides and the very same netting on the top.
I don't think it is a coon. Because there are no woods or for miles of my place .There is a dranage ditch about 3/4 miles away. But there are 4 dogs and many many coyotes between here and there. I live in east centeral Illinois in the middle of corn fields.
This time of year there is nothing but turned farm ground. I can see for miles.
I have a yard dog whom will kill anything she can get ahold of. Altho I have found an opposom or 2 over the years on my place.
I did not realize they could kill my birds I just thought they would get into the eggs. Thats why I have an auto door on the chicken house.
I do have some rats but I try to keep on them whith the bait.
I have not seen any owls but they are native to this area.
But i do have a lot of red tailed hawks. But how do you detour them? I can't hurt them they are protected.
Will a red light flashing on the pen stop them. I am almost sure it is happening thru the day time.

We tried a couple deterrents. On the smaller pens, we put a piece of wood up the one side of the pen and attached wire from the wood to each end of the kennel, in a slanted type grid. That has kept the owls away from those pens. On the larger aviaries, we strung christmas lights up and that seemed to keep them away. I hope something helps for yours as well.

Back
Top Bottom