Missing Neck feathers

MrLeeHo

Songster
May 28, 2020
NC
Checked on my girls today and the top girl is missing most of the feathers right around the front of the neck under her waddle. No blood, no signs of pests...Searched the run and noticed in one of the corners of the run behind a barrier there is a pile of black feathers (shes the only black bird). My guess is there was a squabble and she was pinned in the corner. I was somewhat surprised because she has always clearly been the top of the pecking order and also the 5 of them seem very peaceful. Is this something that shoud concern me or not. I am sure the first question will be space...they are in a 5x5 coop that stays open 24/7 to a protected run that is 12x12 not including the additional 5x5 under the coop that is part of the run. Any and all thoughts are welcome. Thanks

Turning to the internet to get your question answered will take more time than simply going out to your run and sitting for an hour or two and observing this black hen and how the flock interacts with her. You should see in short order if she's being chased, pecked, shoved away from the feeder, or knocked off the roost. Then you can take steps to fix the bullying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Or she could simply be molting if she hasn't yet.

Turning to the internet to get your question answered will take more time than simply going out to your run and sitting for an hour or two and observing this black hen and how the flock interacts with her. You should see in short order if she's being chased, pecked, shoved away from the feeder, or knocked off the roost. Then you can take steps to fix the bullying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chicken-bully-chicken-victim-a-two-sided-issue.73923/

Or she could simply be molting if she hasn't yet.
I will spend some extra time with them tmorrow. I go out nearly everyday, give treats, check water, etc. they always share treats nicely and i havent seen any indication of bullying. Thats why i was asking for thoughts. She is about 10 months old so im not sure if a molt is a possibility. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom