Missing Polish!!!

backwoodbrigade

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
AAgh. . so here in PA we had some pretty rough rain and wind from the Hurricane. .SO, i left the chickens in their coop till yesterday afternoon around 4 when the storm had subsided. .

When i went to lock them in around 7:45, the Polish was missing.. not there this a.m. either. . This is so sad, as she was our favorite, and my girlfriends little chicken. .

any thoughts? We live up on a mountain, and there are a lot of predators; however, i've never had a problem or even seen any signs of predators yet. .and because of the rough weather, it was pretty still yesterday afternoon/evening. .not much noise/birds/activity etc. .

Are they easier targets because of their hair? i don't understand because the whole flock (13+rooster) always stays together while free ranging all day long

Sorry to hear that. Maybe she took up roosting someplace. Mine if they can't get into the run when nightfall comes (kids forget to leave run door open) some smart ones stand at the walkout people door and the others start to roost under the coop on the tire axles. They are roosted and a pit of a pain to get at to shoo in the run.

I don't know. . but i doubt it, as she is usually one of the first ones in the coop to roost, and the door was wide open. . maybe a hawk ? I sure hope she pops up today!

Quote:
Aha, the hawk. We have seen a couple. We put out a couple owl decoys bought at TSC. My HD says hawks don't like owls. We also put out a couple of old pie tin on a pole, the shininess & clanging from the sun/wind helps to deter them.

Back
Top Bottom