Missing pullet

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
So my girl Tan Beak went missing Friday after free ranging with the flock all day. She never came home to roost. I searched the perimeter of the woods, my house, under cars, everywhere and could not find her. Saturday I found most of my Bleeding Heart shrub eaten or missing and assumed she died of toxic overdose. However, after searching my woods for a distance wider that she would have reasonably gone, I have found no body. I have no signs of struggle or predation anywhere, and my two cockerels forage with her, the BJG while young is sizeable, alert, and more than willing to charge if the pullets are molested. She was at point of lay or starting, and had beem mounted already by at least my BJG. My questions are, how long could she possibly stay hidden for, and even if she is a black sex link of some sort can she go broody first time out the gate?? This is one of the parts that really sucks about raising chickens, she was one of my first in April, my profile pic is her as a wee one, and I am praying she comes back but also prepping if she doesn't. Fyi there are several abandoned buildings on the adjacent property, could she have gone broody in one of those??? I did find one of my Browns had gone through some entangling woods and went into the driveway there. Any info would be appreciated!

I am so sorry your bird is missing. I live in the woods and have never had a chicken return after not coming to roost a night. We have lots of predators and most of the time, I can find at least a little clump of feathers and some knocked down weeds. But, I have heard stories of others having birds go off to nest when they are broody and return with a batch of chicks! Fingers crossed that she is nesting somewhere!

Oh, and my japanese bantam just hatched a few eggs for me. She laid about twenty eggs before going broody and she was born early this spring. Japanese are known to be very broody.

I am so sorry your bird is missing. I live in the woods and have never had a chicken return after not coming to roost a night. We have lots of predators and most of the time, I can find at least a little clump of feathers and some knocked down weeds. But, I have heard stories of others having birds go off to nest when they are broody and return with a batch of chicks! Fingers crossed that she is nesting somewhere!
And thats the puzzle. No body, no predators stalking, nothing. She went missing during the day, when pretty much only aerial predators are a threat and I have neither seen nor heard any, nor seen any feather clumps. Praying that even as a BSL she just went broody somewhere close by but well hidden.

Back
Top Bottom