Missing Pullet

K-12 Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Michigan
I have seventeen free-range chickens in total, with ten of them being my pullets I raised from this year. I have two coops; one for my adult (original) hens and another for the pullets (who are now around 18 weeks old). The major predators around are Cooper's Hawks, Red-Tailed Hawks, Barred Owls and loose dogs. Tonight when I went to lock up my girls, I noticed there was only nine pullets instead of ten in the pullet coop. The missing pullet is the friendliest, has the largest comb (very distinctive) and almost never goes more than thirty feet into the woods with her flock mates (she tends to hang up near the house more than the others though). Around noon, right after lunch, I remember not seeing her eating bread scraps with her flock mates. I can't remember whether she was in the coop this morning or not, though it is likely she wasn't. I am pretty sure that this wasn't a dog, as it probably would have killed more than one. I don't think that it was a hawk, because as I searched around, I didn't see any scattered feathers or blood. Any ideas on this mystery? I will search around more in the morning when I can see better and update after that.
I'm really hoping she returns, as she is the friendliest one and closest to laying.
sad.png
fl.gif

The pullets aren't laying as of yet, but the missing pullet has definitely showed interest in laying once or twice. She seemed to mature faster than the others (leading me to think of her as a cockerel).

This morning I walked around a little bit in the woods where the pullets hang out and still no sign of scattered feathers or blood. This is really making me wonder about why and how she disappeared if a predator didn't get her.

Back
Top Bottom