Missing toenail!

oakhavenmama

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
For the last couple of days my little Curly had been sitting more than usual and was being chased by the big chickens. She has had scaly leg mites, which I treat her for, probably not often enough.

This morning I brought her inside to do a foot soak for the mites and slather on the A&D Ointment. She had a few places where the skin had built up on a couple of toes, nothing like they were in the past when she was broody or hatching eggs.

Anyway after a few minutes I noticed that one of her rear toes had a black stub where the nail should be. Even later I realized that the same toe is purplish.

Do any of y’all have experience with something like this? If so what is the proper treatment? Could leg mites have caused this? Will she lose her toe, or even possibly die from this?

I am keeping her inside and started her on Amoxicillin in water. I have Tylan if that might be a better antibiotic for her.

In two days I have an appointment with an avian vet, and hopefully can bring her also, but want to do what I can in the meantime.

Thanks in advance! 🙏
D97B47B6-34BB-4E66-B1BB-868C2C0AFB81.jpeg
323662BE-CB92-4C6A-9C1A-C6A012590E78.jpeg

For the last couple of days my little Curly had been sitting more than usual and was being chased by the big chickens. She has had scaly leg mites, which I treat her for, probably not often enough.

This morning I brought her inside to do a foot soak for the mites and slather on the A&D Ointment. She had a few places where the skin had built up on a couple of toes, nothing like they were in the past when she was broody or hatching eggs.

Anyway after a few minutes I noticed that one of her rear toes had a black stub where the nail should be. Even later I realized that the same toe is purplish.

Do any of y’all have experience with something like this? If so what is the proper treatment?
It looks like the missing nail has scabbed over so nothing more is needed.

Could leg mites have caused this?
Probably not. More likely she caught the nail on something. It's pretty common for chickens to be missing a toenail.

Will she lose her toe, or even possibly die from this?
Likely not. Be sure to examine the toe closely, looking for a fine fiber that may be wrapped around the toe cutting off the circulation causing the purple color.
I am keeping her inside and started her on Amoxicillin in water. I have Tylan if that might be a better antibiotic for her.
Antibiotics are not needed unless the toe is swollen and infected.
In two days I have an appointment with an avian vet, and hopefully can bring her also, but want to do what I can in the meantime.

Thanks in advance! 🙏

Thanks y'all. She's not so much limping as she seems to be taking every opportunity to lay down.

The purple toe bothers me! I am going to continue Amoxicillin and take her to vet tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom