Missing toenail?

Vince

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Harrison, Tn
I have a hen that will not walk. The feet dont apear to have bumblefoot. However there is a toenail missing. Could this be the problem. It is scabed over and been like this for a week or so. Its not swollen or infected looking. Any help?

I had a roo that was missing a toenail. He walked just fine. It grew back eventually.

Maybe whatever event caused the loss of her toenail also resulted in a foot or leg injury.

Put her in a cage somewhere comfortable so she doesn't get picked on and you can watch her. Give her three drops of PolyViSol without Iron drops a day. She'll let you know when she's ready to get out.

This happened to my little hen yesterday! She has been limping around today but mostly sitting or standing on one leg. One of her toenails looks like it got torn off a little bit-a little blood too. I am keeping an eye on her. I thought about putting neosporin on it but didn't think it would stay on long enough to help.

Thank you. I have been keeping her comfy. Changing out her bedding daily. Cleaning her butt too. She is eating and drinking fine. Staying alert, just not moving around.

So it has been about 3 weeks and this hen will not walk. She eats and waters with it right in front of her. I clean her bottom daily by using a water hose, dry her off and clean the bedding. She just lays there and poops on herself. No obvious harm to the feet or legs, except for the toenail. Every morning I expect her to be either up and moving or dead. She just keeps setting still and wont even try to stand. Should I cull her or just remain doing the same.

The others in the flock dont bother her and I've got her in the coop in a nesting box. None of the girls are laying yet and I am not sure how old they are, guessing 3 mths by now. I cant seem to find any info similar in the search section. I need advice, please help me!

Back
Top Bottom