Mississippi???

You probably have all the chickens you need by now, but a man in Hattiesburg was selling Marans and Wellsummers off Craigslist. Have you seen that ad?

I'm in Copiah County just down from Jackson, but I lived on the Coast and in Poplarville.

Just back into keeping layers again. I sold my breeding flock of Partridge Wyandotte bantams due to never knowing what to do with the extra males, kept one pet Wyandotte, my handicapped gray hen and my Modern Game Bantam hen. My Wyandotte up and died and made me sad. The other two can't keep me in eggs, so I accidentally went to a poultry/animal thing in Hazlehurst (Saturdays from about 7 to 11 by the Co-Op) and stumbled onto a breed I'd heard of, but never wanted since I like bantams. Well, you know the rest of the story. I like this chicken. She's a big old girl at 4 1/2 months old, tame and friendly - an Australorp. I like what I've read about them. It's funny how you'll ignore a breed and then, whammo, find you really, really have a thing for it.

If the person hasn't found Wellsummers, yet, a man at the chicken thing has some for sale. He lives in Natchez.

Last year a man in Hattiesburg on Craigslist kept Marans and Wellsummers.

I'm about 20 mins from the coast. I have 2 coops. A regular coop and a large chicken tractor. I have 3 hens in my standing coop and 9 hens and 1 rooster in my tractor. All the chickens in the tractor are bantams. I'm new to the chicken world. I got mine around July 4. Would like to get some RIRs and Plymouth barred rocks from someone locally.

I'm about 20 mins from the coast. I have 2 coops. A regular coop and a large chicken tractor. I have 3 hens in my standing coop and 9 hens and 1 rooster in my tractor. All the chickens in the tractor are bantams. I'm new to the chicken world. I got mine around July 4. Would like to get some RIRs and Plymouth barred rocks from someone locally.
Have you looked at Central Miss. Poultry Swap on Facebook? I found them not long ago and I love it. If you ask a question, you get several answers. You'll find your birds there, probably. (I'm south of Jackson in Copiah County)

Kiln Ms here. I hope to locate someone close to me that I can share my love of chickens with! And hopefully come across some different breeds that I don't have. I like the BIG breeds! Well, all of mine are big so I guess breed doesn't matter? Still would love to have a Jersey Giant!

Kiln Ms here. I hope to locate someone close to me that I can share my love of chickens with! And hopefully come across some different breeds that I don't have. I like the BIG breeds! Well, all of mine are big so I guess breed doesn't matter? Still would love to have a Jersey Giant!

I even know how to say Kiln. Have you looked at Central Miss. Poultry Swap and Mississippi Poultry Swap and others? Friendly people on there. Do you know about the fun poultry show at the Miss. State Fair on Oct. 12? First poultry show of any kind in more than 30 years.

I have my first Australorp, who ought to lay right this minute. She's a sweetie, and four month-old Barnevelders. I used to keep only bantams; still have two elderly pets.

I even know how to say Kiln. Have you looked at Central Miss. Poultry Swap and Mississippi Poultry Swap and others? Friendly people on there. Do you know about the fun poultry show at the Miss. State Fair on Oct. 12? First poultry show of any kind in more than 30 years.

I have my first Australorp, who ought to lay right this minute. She's a sweetie, and four month-old Barnevelders. I used to keep only bantams; still have two elderly pets.
Thanks for the 411, I'll check those out. Where is the fair on the 12th? Do you know where the Kiln is? Do you live nearby or just heard of it or know where it is? I have several different breeds. I too have an Australorp, Queen Latiffa, lol. I love her, she's big and beautiful! I plan on getting more of that breed. I also have Brahmas, EE's, Ameraucana, RIR, WL, Buff Orp, Sumatras, SLW, GLW, BCM, and 1 little lady that is still in question.? There are some rude, mean and not helpful people on BYC, and unfortunately I had the pleasure of finding them!
1f61c.png
Therefore I am very hesitant to post her pic and ask if anyone knows her breed. The guy I got her from didn't know and only has a couple of them like her. I'm still going to try to talk him out of one more
1f603.png
they're really pretty! Kind of a blueish greyish lavendar color. I'm always on the look out for different breeds. And constantly expanding the chicken quarters because I cant pass up a new or diff breed or a beautiful chicken! My daughter says I need chicken therapy. I tell her the chickens are my therapy!! I would love to see a pic of your Australorp. Ttys

Thanks for the 411, I'll check those out. Where is the fair on the 12th? Do you know where the Kiln is? Do you live nearby or just heard of it or know where it is? I have several different breeds. I too have an Australorp, Queen Latiffa, lol. I love her, she's big and beautiful! I plan on getting more of that breed. I also have Brahmas, EE's, Ameraucana, RIR, WL, Buff Orp, Sumatras, SLW, GLW, BCM, and 1 little lady that is still in question.? There are some rude, mean and not helpful people on BYC, and unfortunately I had the pleasure of finding them!
1f61c.png
Therefore I am very hesitant to post her pic and ask if anyone knows her breed. The guy I got her from didn't know and only has a couple of them like her. I'm still going to try to talk him out of one more
1f603.png
they're really pretty! Kind of a blueish greyish lavendar color. I'm always on the look out for different breeds. And constantly expanding the chicken quarters because I cant pass up a new or diff breed or a beautiful chicken! My daughter says I need chicken therapy. I tell her the chickens are my therapy!! I would love to see a pic of your Australorp. Ttys

The Jackson Coliseum grounds. After you come off I-55 at the High Street exit and curve around, take a left at the second light. The livestock barns are to the right of the coliseum.

The Jackson Coliseum grounds. After you come off I-55 at the High Street exit and curve around, take a left at the second light. The livestock barns are to the right of the coliseum.
WOW, Jackson, that's a bit far for me. And working grave shift that would be a hard drive after being up all night.

Back
Top Bottom