Missourians, Storm Reports?

Sent them to Pineville, MO. How far are you from there, Pinenot?
My pens are not covered, at least my main ones aren't. I strung mason's line, looks like neon pink nylon string, in a crisscross pattern over the top then dangled CDs in multiple spots from more strings. They turn, twist, bounce and twirl, throwing reflections all over the place, sort of like having a mirror flash sunlight in your face. It makes it harder for a hawk to make a dive. Ozark, thanks for posting that-I couldn't remember where a pic was that showed the CD's well enough!

It takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to Maryville from here. It is around freezeing but the main hwys are fine. I dont' think I could get out of my drive but I really don't need to go anywhere. Your grandson should be fine! It is the back roads that can be tricky.
The workers putting down salt are doing a fabulous job. It was above freezing here...just everything over night froze and then the rain that fell, fell on ice and is refreezeing. We have some huge limbs down and branches are very tender right now. Go thing we don't have any wind!

LOL, we even have CDs hanging from the fruit trees during season to keep birds off them; people probably think we're nuts, but I remember my mother hanging pie pans on the huge fig bushes to keep the birds out for the same reason.

I am praying that our elect. doesn't go out. I have eggs in the bator that are on day 17! Keep fingers crossed!

Quote:
OMG, I just remembered people in town years ago, having pie pans hanging from their trees, I thought they were nuts...well, I guess I just joined the club.
lau.gif

Im about to put eggs in the bator this Friday, just before we're expecting the temps to tank. My Hova is on a UPS, so at least it would have a short time of electric before stopping entirely. Sure hope your eggs are okay, Pine.
Yep, Miss Ozark, you've joined Pie Tin Alley now.

I'm not that close to Pinesville, MO. Looks like Ozark hen is closer. Looks like Pinesville is even more SW of Ozark hen. It looks like it is close to the Oklahoma line. Do you have a road atlas?

I've heard about using CD's and pie pans. I'll have to check out your picture. Hey, what ever it takes to keep our babies safe. I have chicken wire on top of most my run. It looks like crap, but it seems to be working so far. I'll have to go add some CD's now. We hang all kind of recycled things in the garden and I swear it keeps the deer out.

This time we got it lucky this way.....all rain and cold too!

The last storm last year, we had ice all over the place and Decatur, IL was a MESS. Downed trees are a sight to see but not on homeowners insurances! I had power but my relatives did not, some went to shelter for a week or family members and one had to go out and buy a generator. None of them wanted our hospitality and a warm place to stay. However we had a cat that does not like dogs so no dogs could be in the house unless down the basement. Not fair to dogs either. Some had fireplaces so makes me wonder if fireplaces would be a good asset besides the pain of maintaining it and upkeep of logs and insurance.

Silver Maple trees are the worst offenders in the ice storms....mine looks crappy after the ice storm and it was top heavy and bottom heavy and nothing in the middle. I sure was hoping it would come down soon. My gumball tree out front tolerated the ice storms really well and broke little twigs but that all. Two neighbors down, a tree fell on their attached garage and had to wait for repairs until spring. Finally that tree was cut down a few weeks ago, thank God! Too close to houses. I guess people back inthose days dont realize the full size of those trees and plant them not so far to houses or between houses.

Pine trees fared well and so did the oak trees. Above ground wires didnt fare well either but underground wires did well. Makes me wonder why dont we all get electric wires in unground tunnels rather than on posts??? Cost, I think was the biggest factor.

Glad you guys are sticking it out. Supposed to get another ice storm tonight...

Back
Top Bottom