Missouri's newest BYC member!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Magoonichicks, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Magoonichicks

Magoonichicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Hello all, I live in central Missouri and have a couple questions for anyone else in the area. My husband is retrofitting our metal shed into a coop, any advice for the heat of summer and the coldness of winter?? Also we are getting buff orpingtons, but my husband wants a big fancy looking rooster, the question is can I have a buff orp rooster and another variety in the same coop/run?

Amanda[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    First of all,
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of folks who have converted their metal sheds into coops.
    Check out the Coop forum for tips since they can become ovens during the hot summer.
    You can raise many roosters in the same coop. There will always be a pecking order.
    It is best to raise the roosters together from chicks.
    If you have an adult roo and bring in another adult roo, expect fighting until the pecking order is established.
    Every year I hatch my barnyard mix eggs so I can stock up the freezer and I will have sometimes 20 or more roosters at the same time.
    It can get really LOUD and annoying with them all crowing at the same time all day long.
    Since I finally have a 'big fancy rooster' I keep him for breeding my layers. He's a Black Copper Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by