Misspelling

Pics
Okay, so this is what I found for Marans on two different websites:

"The French pronounce it mah-rahn. Neither syllable has an accent, and the "s" is silent in both the singular and plural forms. Most Americans pronounce it Mah-RANS, with the accent on the second syllable."

"'Marans' is always spelled in the plural. A single chicken is a 'Marans' and two chickens are 'Marans.'
And the 's' is silent. It’s spelled 'Marans,' but it’s pronounced, 'Muh-ran.' In America, we pronounce the 'ran' as in “I ran away.” (The French have a more elegant pronunciation, as with most words)."
In my head I read it as MARE-an.

Since this is a thread about misspelling, it is actually "driver license," not driver's license ..... :plbb At least in Missouri ..... Check your purse, or wallet !

Now, I've seen 2 variations from different states, the above mentioned "driver's license" and "driving license." I'm really not a grammar expert, so I really don't know which is correct ? All three of them ? :idunno
Well, the card is a Driver License. (Plural) But to show posession, it's driver's license. (Also a Missourian). The actual card is a license for a driver, a driver license. When a driver is in possession of the license, it is their driver's license. It is grammar, not spelling, and they're all 3 correct depending on how they're used in a sentence :)

Well, the card is a Driver License. (Plural) But to show posession, it's driver's license. (Also a Missourian). The actual card is a license for a driver, a driver license. When a driver is in possession of the license, it is their driver's license. It is grammar, not spelling, and they're all 3 correct depending on how they're used in a sentence :)
Singular *

Okay, so this is what I found for Marans on two different websites:

"The French pronounce it mah-rahn. Neither syllable has an accent, and the "s" is silent in both the singular and plural forms. Most Americans pronounce it Mah-RANS, with the accent on the second syllable."

"'Marans' is always spelled in the plural. A single chicken is a 'Marans' and two chickens are 'Marans.'
And the 's' is silent. It’s spelled 'Marans,' but it’s pronounced, 'Muh-ran.' In America, we pronounce the 'ran' as in “I ran away.” (The French have a more elegant pronunciation, as with most words)."

I found this for Faverolles:

“Faverolles” is always spelled with an “s” at the end, both in the singular and the plural. And the “s” is always silent.
So, in both the singular and the plural, you pronounce “Faverolles” as “Fa-ver-ol.” The “a” is short, as in “apple” and the “o” is long as in “open.” Some Americans pronounce the “a” long instead, as in the word “favor.”
You’ll find in the U.S. that many people will spell the singular “Faverolles” as “Faverolle.” And people will voice the final “s” on the plural Faverolles. Technically, all of this is incorrect, but it’s seemed to have taken hold in America, nevertheless, as these changes sound more natural to our English-speaking ears.

That makes sense. I had been pronouncing them both correctly, then.:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom