"Mister" has come to town . . . guess what yaw'll?

I saw one of my roos mate a couple of hours ago. Well, well, well. He has earned the name "Mister" since he's walking all about the coop doing the do. Wonder when he began? I just went out to attempt a photo, but I'll get a better one when I step inside to feed them this evening.

I T H I N K he is a cochin. But wait, aren't they lil things? This bad boy stands head and shoulders above everyone else in the coop, strutting his stuff. He has the feathery leg thing going on. Hmmm,🤔

For that matter everyone seems flighty today. Many are flying inside their hoop coop. There I am standing outside the coop looking in and some of them flew right at me (on the inside). I confess wondering had I been inside would that be them attacking me (oh nooooo).

I'll be glad when I order Premiere fencing next month so they may begin free ranging. I am reading up about chicken pastures too. But I suppose that won't come to fruition until the spring. But I am learning all I can now. Found out sweet potato vines are good for them so I purchased two sweet potatoes today at work and brought them home and set to rooting them for the chickies.

But, back to Mister; ain't he somethin'!? Pulling out my records to verify his age. Could it be that he is a Marans? He was hatched 8/3/22. That makes him round about 15 weeks old.
I have to jump in here. I am dealing with 2 Cockrell that are 15 or so wks old. Came in a batch of 10 that were suppose to all be females...haha... yeah right. I have just added 5 adult females to my flock that are already laying. Omg... it's been a fun week. Both Cockrell are going crazy at once. One of them is crowing all of a sudden. Other one is trying. They keep jumping the new females and even started jumping the girls that are their age. I'm trying to stay back and let chickens be chickens. The only injured one so far was one of the Cockrell that had bruising on comb and waddle with some blood. Big girls teaching him some manners I believe.

Your male looks like he could have some BCM (black copper Maran). I have 2 BCM females.

Anyway... good luck. Enjoy

I have to jump in here. I am dealing with 2 Cockrell that are 15 or so wks old. Came in a batch of 10 that were suppose to all be females...haha... yeah right. I have just added 5 adult females to my flock that are already laying. Omg... it's been a fun week. Both Cockrell are going crazy at once. One of them is crowing all of a sudden. Other one is trying. They keep jumping the new females and even started jumping the girls that are their age. I'm trying to stay back and let chickens be chickens. The only injured one so far was one of the Cockrell that had bruising on comb and waddle with some blood. Big girls teaching him some manners I believe.

Your male looks like he could have some BCM (black copper Maran). I have 2 BCM females.

You know one of the sets we got are "assorted marans" and I always wondered who is who. I'm gonna revisit my post above and try to see which one I was speaking of at the time. When I see photos of marans I think how pretty they are and hey apparently I have some.

Ohh, now I recall, that's the roo that pecked my hand a week or so ago. And, the other day, he hunched up (a lil) toward me. MMMMMMmmmm . . ..

Both. Actually, I was going to get an incubator a couple of weeks ago but didnt want to spend the $150. Maybe March or April (I've got taxes to pay; ughhhh).
I got an incubator. I have some in now and they have 13 days left. I’m so excited but I will tell you it’s addicting. First hatch and they haven’t hatched yet and I’m already planning more.. 🤦‍♀️

I got an incubator. I have some in now and they have 13 days left. I’m so excited but I will tell you it’s addicting. First hatch and they haven’t hatched yet and I’m already planning more.. 🤦‍♀️
Me and hubby were just saying this morning that we would like a new coop just for babies. Because the whole this group needs lay and that needs starter thing. :idunno He says he wants to get garden going first and then perhaps.

I keep going back and forth with day old chicks vs hatching because it seems hatching is iffy, this depends upon that which depends upon the other. Day old chicks seems a better bet.

Me and hubby were just saying this morning that we would like a new coop just for babies. Because the whole this group needs lay and that needs starter thing. :idunno He says he wants to get garden going first and then perhaps.

I keep going back and forth with day old chicks vs hatching because it seems hatching is iffy, this depends upon that which depends upon the other. Day old chicks seems a better bet.
You can give your whole group starter/grower and oyster shell on the side. Chicks won’t eat oyster shell, and the starter/grower is safe for everyone!

Of course, an extra coop is also good. Lol.

I wanted to do day old chicks in all honesty but eventually I would have wanted to hatch my own though. Not only that but I have the breed I’m hatching as roosters already. And buying hens is hard and I have just as good of a shot hatching them than straight run. Everywhere I looked to buy chicks was straight run and $45+ for the Ayam Cemani’s.

Back
Top Bottom