Misters for the run

May 29, 2019
I need information about cooling misters. I want to put them on half of my run 8 x 13 feet or have them just outside. My floor in the run is sand.
It is hot here high 90's - 100's sometimes. Dry air most of the time not humid.

1. Can I run the misters all day?
2. Can I get the chickens sick?

Please give me any advice and your experience about mister. THANKS

I need information about cooling misters. I want to put them on half of my run 8 x 13 feet or have them just outside. My floor in the run is sand.
It is hot here high 90's - 100's sometimes. Dry air most of the time not humid.

1. Can I run the misters all day?
2. Can I get the chickens sick?

Please give me any advice and your experience about mister. THANKS
answering your questions
!. Not sure how you are set up...roof on run, shade trees?? How good is the drainage etc. I live in SoCal, dry and arid, I have a roof on my run and it is under shade trees. what I did is I got a battery operated timer that hooks up to the hose bib and then connected the garden hosee to it. runs about 15 minutes every hour for the hottest part of the day in the afternoon
2. Mine actually like the misters and never had a problem with them getting sick. they realize that when those misters come on it cools down and gets comfortable

I use mister fans when the temperatures start approaching 100 and the chickens definitely tend to cluster around it in the hottest part of the day. It's very low humidity where I leave, so things tend to dry up fast.

We place a mister facing the run with several fans behind it. (We have an open air run with wire on top to prevent hawk attacks, and it is underneath a large red oak tree for shade.) -temps hover in the high 90s/100s during the summer. Our chickens love the mister! -never had any issues with illness.

Welcome! :welcome

We've had unusually hot summers and purchased some misters recently. I did this based on suggestions here and advice of people that live nearby. Our humidity is quite high so I only run them when the heat exceeds what can be relieved with shade (ours free roam during the day).

My pullets seemed to enjoy them!

Back
Top Bottom