Misting duck eggs?

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
Ok, so I'm on day 8 (midnight will start day 9) - when should I start to mist the eggs. They are pekin duck eggs........Is misting something that HAS to be done? What is the purpose of misting?

Hi Dave, the misting, for me, it imitates the mother duck coming back damp and wet to the nest after water and eating the few time(s) she does a day....It helps keep the shell moist.....

I sprayed mine twice daily ....Others spray waterfowl once a day or not at all. This can be done with a small amount of slightly warmed water. You can then leave the incubator open for a minute or so afterwards. Sometimes this can be of benefit. If you do it, start at day 7 and do not spray after day 25. The actual consequences of spraying are " It changes the membrane of the egg so a greater percentage of moisture is lost during incubation. Ideally, a duck egg looses about 13% of its weight between the time it is laid and day 25 of incubation. Loosing significantly more or less than this reduces hatchability. " So you don't want to soak them only a light spraying...if you choose to go that route! Hope the eggs are doing well! Nancy

Back
Top Bottom