1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mite advice from someone who has dealt with it please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Milliemay, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Milliemay

Milliemay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    I have read way too many topics with so much different advice, use Sevin, don't use Sevin, use wormer, etc. I would like someone to tell me what has worked for them.

I have been checking my hens for mites on and off because they seem to always be preening, and have some feathers missing on the back of theirs heads, but I thought that could be from being in the coop on the colder days and pecking at each other, or from the rooster. Anyhow, I had an older hen that is always a little slower than the rest, and the last few days she went down hill fast, so I culled her. I then noticed mites on her breast, like I stated I have checked the other hens and can't visually see anything, but they are obviously there.

So, what is the quickest, least painful, way to clean the coop and get the hens mite free? I have 35 hens, so a bath is really out of the question, besides it still gets quite cold here in the evening. Is it enough to clean the coop, dust with a product, and then dust the hens a few times? Or would it be advisable to use a womer as well. What is a safe wormer to use so you can keep eating the eggs?

I am not an organic person, so using Sevin would not bother me, I just want to get rid of the bugs!

My last question, where do they get the nasty things??

Thanks in advance![​IMG]

2. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I've been dealing with a mite problem now for a few months. They can be tough little buggers to get rid of.

You can completely clean out the coop - and dust every nook an cranny with sevin or garden/poultry dust - and dust your birds as well. Repeat in 7 days.

If that doesn't get them (didn't on mine) - I then used Ivomec Pour-On for Cattle - it will kill pests that feed on blood such as mites - and will also kill several types of worms at the same time. If you use Ivomec you can't eat the eggs for 14 days. If you get Ivomec Eprinex - there is no withdrawl period (it's a different formulation that does the same thing). You drop it on bare skin like frontline for dogs and cats. .5cc for large birds .25cc for smaller birds like bantams.

If you're like me - I'm now going to redose with Ivomec a second time - two weeks from the initial dose - because it still didn't get them all. After doing research and speaking to some members here - I was advised not to use the Ivomec more than twice in a row. It's something that in general is used once every 6 months or annually as needed.

If that doesn't work - in two more weeks - I'll begin dusting them once weekly until they are gone.

Some people like to use DE - some say it works, some say it doesn't. Many use it as a preventative if you don't have a major infestation.

Mites come from many sources - like wild birds (sparrows, wrens - anything that are around your birds) - so not too much you can do other than deal with them when they show up.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    This is what I do:

Clean out coop. Everything. Especially the nest material in nesting boxes. Sprinkle with Sevin dust. The cracks the corners the roost and especially the laying boxes. You can use poultry dust but if something is eating my chickens alive I go big guns. If I really want to get serious I mix Sevin with water and using a pressure sprayer I spray everything and let dry with all doors and windows open.

Replace litter and dust each chicken. Repeat in 10 days. Sevin won't kill eggs so you have to wait for the critters to hatch to kill them. Just to be safe I would dust them again in 10 more days.

Give the hens more protein so they can get their strength back if they are weak. Poultry vitamins in their water for a few weeks wouldn't hurt. I like to give mine blocks of chopped frozen spinach. No need to cook. Let it defrost overnight and put in their treat pan.

Mites come from the environment and I think birds that get into the run to steal food.

Different mites can be fowl mites, skin mites, feather mites, internal mites and red mites.

Clean the coop, dust the hens and you will be good to go.[​IMG]

4. Milliemay

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am thinking about using the Ivomec Eprinex, I am familiar with that, we have used it on our cattle. It's a bit pricey, but I think worth it. Thank goodness we just cleaned the coop a few weeks ago, so cleaning again won't be too bad. I will also do the Sevin dust, and repeat that. My chickens are let out to free range every day, we have a pigeon family living in the haymow so that could possibly be the culprits. I have seen them close to my hens. I also know mites are a common thing, I just haven't dealt with them till now. Time to worm all of the other animals, so we'll include our hens. Hopefully that does the trick.

My hens thank you again for the straight advice! [​IMG]

5. Milliemay

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Double post, sorry!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I use the stuff at the feedstore , its used on goats called permethrin 10%.. I use a dropper, one drop on vent, one under each wing. It seems to work on contact. I only have to use very little so the bottle will last me a very long long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by