Mite Control Question.

awalters0815

Songster
9 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Plainfield, IN
I just got 5 new easter egger pullets. At least one of them had mites or lice so I dusted them all with permethrin. Are repeat applications necessary and if so, how often? Is there anything else I should do to make sure they don't return?

What about bathing with Borax? My brother in law used to do that for his pigeons when they had mites...

If it was lice, you should repeat in 10 days, to catch hatched eggs/nits. You should also treat their bedding, or disgard the bedding and put fresh in. Why did you say mites OR lice? Did you see bugs, or were you told they had bugs??

I use permethrin 10% livestock and premise spray from Tractor Supply. I put it in a pump sprayer and spray everybody down at night, and then do the coops during the day for prevention from mites and lice. Works better than dusting, since I dont inhale all that nasty dust. The residue also lasts at least 30 days, so I do it once a month or so.

Okay...DH picked up a d'uccle rooster a few weeks back. I examined him and found a louse (I'm sure there were more than one, but I only saw one), plus his feet were horrible (appeared deformed almost) w/scaley leg mites. I didn't find any "regular" mites. I sprayed him with Adams flea and tick spray...especially under the wings, around the vent area, under the neck. We were careful to cover his face, and worked the spray in with my fingers. I also gave him a drop of Ivermec. paste (squirted into a piece of bread). The foot issues aside, the lice were gone quickly, but I still retreated w/the Adams 10 days later. We also found several big nest "pods" around his beard area, which we clipped off to the best of our abilities. I think they were dead, and would have fallen off with a molt, but they were gross. So check for those around beard/muff areas, and around their butt area. The spray should work for mites AND lice. I've not tried the powder stuff, other than DE, but I think spraying is easier...that powder goes EVERYWHERE but where I want it to go.
tongue.png
And DO do a bedding clean-out, with DE or another bug repellent mixed in...

Back
Top Bottom