Mite dip potential overdose

rebeccandsomers

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2018
Hi There
New here and its a bit of a crisis. We have a huge mite infestation so I was advised to dip the girls which I did following the directions on the bottle..Pyrethrum made by Adams for dogs and cats. The lady said it would be good and she had done her own chickens no problem. But now my girls are hardly able to walk and just hunkered down and not moving. Is this normal? I have rinsed them - I used 8 capfuls for 2 gallons. Then I rinsed them in plain bucket of water. I guess I just wait and see...? Whats the normal procedure? I suppose I should have asked this before hand.

I've used that before and everything went okay.. I didn't put it on her face and rinsed well. I also towel dryer her.. maybe they don't like being wet? Are they dry? I used it as a dip mixed with water when one of my hens had flystrike.. it was the only thing that killed the maggots.. sorry TMI!!!!!

Hi There
New here and its a bit of a crisis. We have a huge mite infestation so I was advised to dip the girls which I did following the directions on the bottle..Pyrethrum made by Adams for dogs and cats. The lady said it would be good and she had done her own chickens no problem. But now my girls are hardly able to walk and just hunkered down and not moving. Is this normal? I have rinsed them - I used 8 capfuls for 2 gallons. Then I rinsed them in plain bucket of water. I guess I just wait and see...? Whats the normal procedure? I suppose I should have asked this before hand.
Hi @rebeccandsomers I'm sorry to hear about your chickens.

How are they doing today?
Can you post some photos of your chickens?
How old are they?
Putting your location in your profile is helpful so we know your general weather conditions.

Did you dip each chicken in a bucket? What was the temperature of the water?
How far did you submerge each chicken? Did the chickens drink any of the water?
Are all of them having trouble walking now? A video may be helpful.

Contacting your vet or poison control would be your best option if they have not improved. Poison Control https://www.cdc.gov/contact/index.htm

The only thing I can think to tell you at this time is to try to keep them hydrated, offer fresh plain water and see how it goes.

Hi they are soooo much better today!
I think they will be ok - but we may skip the eggs for a bit not that they are all laying due to the mites i suspect. I did dip them in a bucket each one separately and held there for about 40 seconds. They didnt drink it nor put their heads in. They really reacted badly though they sat in one spot for the rest of the day/night i moved them by hand to the coop kind of expecting the worst this morning but they ran to me as usual to greet me. I have left them in the coop today to chill. The water temp was around 70 degrees.

Thank you I did find a manna pro de dust specifically for chickens so yeah going forward planning on using this only hope it works. I will also try to find one of those items you suggested. We dont have tractor supply here but the pet supply store I use is very willing to ship whatever.

Thank you I did find a manna pro de dust specifically for chickens so yeah going forward planning on using this only hope it works. I will also try to find one of those items you suggested. We dont have tractor supply here but the pet supply store I use is very willing to ship whatever.
Do your research to determine if DE is right for you. IMHO, it is worthless for treating an active infestation of external parasites. It may have it place as far as being added to dust bathing areas and rubbed into wood of nesting boxes, but it is very fine and can cause respiratory problems if your not careful. Again, my opinion, but it is better to just use a Permethrin based poultry product that is effective and safe to use.

... We have a huge mite infestation so I was advised to dip the girls which I did following the directions on the bottle..Pyrethrum made by Adams for dogs and cats....

... For future reference, it would be better to use permethrin products labeled for poultry. You can use dusting powder or liquid. Here's a link that shows photos of what you can generally find online and at feed stores like Tractor Supply...

Pyrethrum is a powder made from crushed chrysanthemums or some other member of the Mum family of flowers. While this insecticide is deadly for mites you will almost have to hit the mite with a 50 pound sack of Pyrethrum to establish control mainly because Pyrethrum is so short lived in the natural world. Permethrin is a much more stable and effective product and it is less expensive as well. Ask the nice lady where you purchased the Pyrethrum to explain to you the difference between Pyrethrum and Permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom