MITE INFESTATION !!!

nekasneka1

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
I've recently added two new hens to my flock and I did not check them fro the lice when I got them. Sure, enough the are crawling with them. No clue what type or if they are even mites could be lice. How do I kill the lice? I've covered the chooks in DE for now. Willing to try anything thats not too costy..

Newmamabear

Chirping
Mar 27, 2016
Alberta
I
I've recently added two new hens to my flock and I did not check them fro the lice when I got them. Sure, enough the are crawling with them. No clue what type or if they are even mites could be lice. How do I kill the lice? I've covered the chooks in DE for now. Willing to try anything thats not too costy..
I've never had a mite or lice problem myself but I keep thier coop dusted with a mix of sand and wood ashes which is supposed to be very effective against them. Maybe mix a some sand and ashes together for them to have a dust bath in?

BuffOrpington88

Songster
Mar 20, 2012
Hi! I used this Garden and Poultry Dust when my flock had mites (you can probably find it at your local feed store), but there are lots of other options. Here is an article about treating mites and lice. Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:

Newmamabear

Chirping
Mar 27, 2016
Alberta
Also I read they like to come out at night to feed so make sure thier perches and roosts are well cleaned, a website someplace was saying that they actually rub the stuff into the items the birds sleep on because the mites/lice won't crawl on it

Top Bottom