MITE INFESTATION !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nekasneka1, Aug 19, 2016.

1. nekasneka1

nekasneka1 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    I've recently added two new hens to my flock and I did not check them fro the lice when I got them. Sure, enough the are crawling with them. No clue what type or if they are even mites could be lice. How do I kill the lice? I've covered the chooks in DE for now. Willing to try anything thats not too costy..

2. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    I
    I've never had a mite or lice problem myself but I keep thier coop dusted with a mix of sand and wood ashes which is supposed to be very effective against them. Maybe mix a some sand and ashes together for them to have a dust bath in?

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi! I used this Garden and Poultry Dust when my flock had mites (you can probably find it at your local feed store), but there are lots of other options. Here is an article about treating mites and lice. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  4. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Also I read they like to come out at night to feed so make sure thier perches and roosts are well cleaned, a website someplace was saying that they actually rub the stuff into the items the birds sleep on because the mites/lice won't crawl on it

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by