Mite Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cluckcluckluke

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 10, 2012
The Foothills Of Chickendom
When dusting Mites how many times do I have to do it and how many days between each dusting.

Also I am aware I have the mites that live on the hens so I have to clean and wash down the roost and nesting shed.
But do I have to do this every time I individually dust my chickens or will just the once do it?

Normally Permethrin dusting once, and then 10 days later does the trick. One lady on here mentioned filling a panty hose stocking with dust and dusting the bird to avoid a mess. I prefer sprays rather than dusts, but you use what you have. It is best to start a program of coop cleaning/premise treatment. Remove all old shavings, dust and shop-vac after you remove the bulk of it. This includes the nests. Oxine is a safe, effective, and favored disinfectant among poultry keepers and can be used to spray the entire coop including nests. I use a 3 gallon pump sprayer. After a little while it should be mostly dry if done on a warm day. Then mix up some Ravap E.C. or Gardstar 20% E.C. and spray the coop focusing on all cracks, crevices, nests, and all sides of roosts. Let dry and allow your birds access to the coop area. I do this about every 3 months and haven't had an ectoparasite problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom