Mite Question?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckluke, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

When dusting Mites how many times do I have to do it and how many days between each dusting.

Also I am aware I have the mites that live on the hens so I have to clean and wash down the roost and nesting shed.
    But do I have to do this every time I individually dust my chickens or will just the once do it?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Normally Permethrin dusting once, and then 10 days later does the trick. One lady on here mentioned filling a panty hose stocking with dust and dusting the bird to avoid a mess. I prefer sprays rather than dusts, but you use what you have. It is best to start a program of coop cleaning/premise treatment. Remove all old shavings, dust and shop-vac after you remove the bulk of it. This includes the nests. Oxine is a safe, effective, and favored disinfectant among poultry keepers and can be used to spray the entire coop including nests. I use a 3 gallon pump sprayer. After a little while it should be mostly dry if done on a warm day. Then mix up some Ravap E.C. or Gardstar 20% E.C. and spray the coop focusing on all cracks, crevices, nests, and all sides of roosts. Let dry and allow your birds access to the coop area. I do this about every 3 months and haven't had an ectoparasite problem since.

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Thanks, I have got all my ware fare materials.lol. And am starting now.

The mites I have are living on the chickens and in their nest boxing material.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by