Mite Relapse!

Whitehouse Quail

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Michigan
Weeks ago, I had a mite problem on my flock. I bought Permectin to kill them, and it worked like a charm. I knew I would have to reapply in a week, so when I got all geared up, I checked them to see if they still had mites. They didn't, so I left it because I don't like chemicals anyway. Now, it looks like they have had a relapse. How do I keep this from happening? Thanks!
cool.png

I have been fighting mites and lice for a long time. It did not matter what I used it did not last. I was told to get some Front Line flea and tick spray (not the drops) and use this. I took the advice and it worked beyond belief. A friend of mine had some new younger birds with mites real bad, used it on hers and they are doing great.

Just because you didn't see any bugs when you checked the second time, you should have treated again. There were still eggs on your birds and they hatched and reinfested.

You have to keep up on them.

Are you talkig liquid killer or poultry powder?
Mites arnt anything to be messing around with. You have to keep up with it even if you don't see aything on them the second week. They come back and fast.
You need to treat the birds and their area with good and strong poultry powder.
Because mites are everywhere you cant get rid of them totaly. Once there never goes
They are on everything. The ground, the walls. And of course the wild birds can bring them back in.

If you don't get ahold of it then it becomes a big mess. I have seen it gotten so bad on other peoples birds that white ones arnt white anymore. They turn pure black from all the mites. And it will eventually kill them

Once you have gotten it to where you arnt seeing then you still have to treat periodicly to keep from being an infestation

Quote:
gosh I spell bad today lol

Last edited:
Most mites only live on the chickens part time, except for Northern Fowl Mites. They are probably still in your yard and coop. Powders only treat the chicken. They are still able to get back on the bird and reinfest them. Sprinkle DE over the area and make sure to clean out your coop throughly. You may want to change their bedding quite frequently until you know the problem is eliminated.

DB

Back
Top Bottom