Mite survival after coop removed

JoHoWendy

Hatching
Jun 17, 2022
Hi all

So I've had a mite infestation, treated with every spray on market, DE, Ivermectin etc etc and couldn't get under control so took wooden coop out and bought an Omlet Eglu. Problem seems to be solved with the chickens, however the old wooden coop which is standing on our allotment is still teaming with mites despite emptying bedding spraying it down. I think the only option is to burn it? I can't sell it to anyone or they'll just inherit my problem right? So over the last week however the dogs are coming in the house covered in mites now too so we have them in the house and I can't seem to get rid of them from the dogs now, despite bathing them and washing the towels etc. They are everywhere :confused: I didn't realise they like dogs but from reading articles on the web, mites will survive on other hosts other than birds if they have no other option. Will I end up with infested house? What now?

There's always kerosene or jet fuel. Just kidding, not recommending it, although that's what our chicken keeping ancestors used.

Were two of those mite treatments you tried spinosad and permethrin? Those are tried and true mite pesticides that will work when sprayed as a solution into all the cracks in the coop.

And yes, burning it would do it, too.

Some chicken keepers, myself included, use a blow torch to clean the coops of parasites and pests for some of the reasons you've discovered.
Not all coops are suitable for blow torch cleaning and it's something I would encourage people to consider before they build, or buy a coop.
The probability is that the chemicals we use now to control pests will become ineffective over time. This will happen over time anyway with, or without overuse.
It will take evolution a long long time to produce pests resistant to 400 degrees centigrade flame. An added advantage is this kind of heat also kills the eggs which some chemical solutions don't.

You could take a blow torch to your old coop and experiment and if you accidentally set it on fire, problem solved.

Hi all

So I've had a mite infestation, treated with every spray on market, DE, Ivermectin etc etc and couldn't get under control so took wooden coop out and bought an Omlet Eglu. Problem seems to be solved with the chickens, however the old wooden coop which is standing on our allotment is still teaming with mites despite emptying bedding spraying it down. I think the only option is to burn it? I can't sell it to anyone or they'll just inherit my problem right? So over the last week however the dogs are coming in the house covered in mites now too so we have them in the house and I can't seem to get rid of them from the dogs now, despite bathing them and washing the towels etc. They are everywhere :confused: I didn't realise they like dogs but from reading articles on the web, mites will survive on other hosts other than birds if they have no other option. Will I end up with infested house? What now?
Are using the same run?

Some chicken keepers, myself included, use a blow torch to clean the coops of parasites and pests for some of the reasons you've discovered.
Not all coops are suitable for blow torch cleaning and it's something I would encourage people to consider before they build, or buy a coop.
The probability is that the chemicals we use now to control pests will become ineffective over time. This will happen over time anyway with, or without overuse.
It will take evolution a long long time to produce pests resistant to 400 degrees centigrade flame. An added advantage is this kind of heat also kills the eggs which some chemical solutions don't.

You could take a blow torch to your old coop and experiment and if you accidentally set it on fire, problem solved.
Mine won't be an accident if I do it lol Its made out of pallets.

Back
Top Bottom