1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mites and Lice

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by breezy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Well after reading a few dozen posts on the subject of these 2, I would like to ask if someone could point me in the direction of pictures of these pests. I would like to be able to identify any parasites when I go to look at birds for purchase. I tried searching for them on the site but Im not sure I was doing it right since I didnt come up with anything.

I know how to identify most canine and feline ectoparasites but I have never seen bird lice or mites.
    thanks

2. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Just google up "Chicken Mites". They are usually most visible along the stems of feathers and look clear or cream colored. Don't be afraid to pull out a lighted magnifying glass and look if you are buying fowl. better safe than sorry.

3. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    go to predators on this website and click on mites, it tells you how to identify them, and treat then and there is a picture too

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Here`s the best article I can find. Most chicken infestations aren`t as radical. Best way to check them is with a flshlight at night. Pick`m off the roost and look under the tail and in the vent area. If one has them, they all do.

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My banty cochin is the bird that most often has problems with mites. I lift her wings and can see them running across her skin.

If your birds have light colored skin, you'll be able to see the mites, which are teensy black dots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by