Mites and tapeworms

Michaelamarie

Songster
Jun 25, 2021
Klamath Falls, OR
New chicken owner here. First I’ve been battling some type of mites for 3 days. They’re on 2 of my chickens vents, on the roost and eggs. I burned everything and hosed/ washed the coop and now I don’t see as many and they look like they’re dyeing. I would like to add that I’m a crazy clean freak and I clean their coop everyday from the time they were put in there so I have no idea where mites came from. Now one of them has tapeworms in their poo. Coincidence? Or just bad luck. So now what do I give them for tapeworms and how to I administer it? Please help.

Did you treat birds and wood for mites and remove all bedding? If you dont treat them once a week for 2-3 weeks they will come right back 👍 fenbendazole for tapeworms

Did you treat birds and wood for mites and remove all bedding? If you dont treat them once a week for 2-3 weeks they will come right back 👍 fenbendazole for tapeworms
Yes I removed all of their pine shavings and burnt them then I hosed their coop with soapy water then I laid DE all over the floor and coated the walls and rooste bars with cooking oil water and dish soap then dusted each bird with DE at least once a day. How do I administer that medication?

Welcome!
Clean freak or not, a wet coop is not a happy place for chickens, who need a dry environment. Scoop the poop if you feel the need, but don't hose that coop down, certainly not often!
Mites and lice arrive with wild songbirds, or if you took in a new bird from somewhere. Permethrin spray or dust is the treatment that works, repeated every seven to ten days at least twice.
Tapeworms come from the bird eating earthworms or other critters that carry the parasite larva or cysts. Fenbendazole given correctly will kill Tanea, but not other species of tapeworms.
DE is dangerous for all of us to inhale, and ineffective for anything except grain mites in dry grains. When damp, it kills nothing. A waste of time and effort, and I hope you were wearing at least an N95 face mask, or a respirator, when doing any of this!!!
Mary

Welcome!
Clean freak or not, a wet coop is not a happy place for chickens, who need a dry environment. Scoop the poop if you feel the need, but don't hose that coop down, certainly not often!
Mites and lice arrive with wild songbirds, or if you took in a new bird from somewhere. Permethrin spray or dust is the treatment that works, repeated every seven to ten days at least twice.
Tapeworms come from the bird eating earthworms or other critters that carry the parasite larva or cysts. Fenbendazole given correctly will kill Tanea, but not other species of tapeworms.
DE is dangerous for all of us to inhale, and ineffective for anything except grain mites in dry grains. When damp, it kills nothing. A waste of time and effort, and I hope you were wearing at least an N95 face mask, or a respirator, when doing any of this!!!
Mary
Ive only had 5 birds since chicks so must be a wild bird. I bought permethrin, today do I put on the coop and birds? Also my coop was dry before I put them back. The farm store I went to gave me valbazen for tapeworms so I’m going to try that. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom