mites? De?

sad.png

Last edited:
We have been giving her sugar water and boiled egg yolks with her regular feed...
I dusted her yesterday with Sevin we massaged it in. I dont know how long it takes to kill the bugs but they were still running around on her.

Quote:
I agree completely. If you have a severe infestation, and it sounds like you do. Get some Adams flea and tick dip for dogs and mix as directed, dip her or them in that and swish around real good. Use a washloth to do her head. Let her dry outside on a warm day. That stuff WILL kill all the parasites and eggs and will still have a slight odor in 30 days. Treat the rest of the coop/run with sevin. Might as well do it right the first time, then you can maintain with DE........Pop

Quote:
I agree completely. If you have a severe infestation, and it sounds like you do. Get some Adams flea and tick dip for dogs and mix as directed, dip her or them in that and swish around real good. Use a washloth to do her head. Let her dry outside on a warm day. That stuff WILL kill all the parasites and eggs and will still have a slight odor in 30 days. Treat the rest of the coop/run with sevin. Might as well do it right the first time, then you can maintain with DE........Pop

Hey Pop, we did her with Sevin yesterday really thoroughly. SHe was separated from all but one chicken so we dusted the vent's of all the other chickens and lightly dusted the inside of the coop and the run outside. We also dusted HER containment area and gave her boiled egg yolk.

DO you think we dusted them enough??? THe other chickens we just dusted their vents.... we also normally dust the coop (on saturdays) with DE and i dusted it with Sevin last night.

Quote:
I agree, I would go with the fast kill of a chemical treatment. And she will need to be retreated with a chemical treatment in a couple of weeks, because the first treatment will not kill the eggs, so they will hatch. DE is great but has its limitations.

You'll be fighting this for a while!

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor hen, I am sure she will be OK.
Thank goodness now she has a good owner to take care of her.
One day it would be nice to see pics of her
smile.png

Please keep us up-dated.

Hey you all,

I wanted to update you on the little wobbly boo. We dusted her last night with Sevin, we dusted the coop and the other hens as well even though they are separated JUST to be sure. I let her sit in the sun yesterday while I dusted the cage she is staying in (its 5ft x 3ft). We then made her boiled egg yolk, which she wouldn't eat, sugar water and I tried to give her some poly vi sol. We then gave up on that and put it in her water instead lol.

Today she seems somewhat better! She has NO live bugs on her that I can find and yesterday they were crawling all over her. I read somewhere that said that if you could see 10 mites on the bird they had 300,000. We think there is a chance that she was mal-nutritioned as well as Anemic due to blood loss.

We arent sure she is going to make it but there are signs that she is on the mend. She is still wobbly but she seems to be able to walk or stretch or use one foot to scratch. On Saturday that would have knocked her right on her ass. She wasn't walking at all over the weekend, she was just laying down her balance was THAT off.

We trimmed her crest... just figured that yes, she is a polish but right now she needed to be able to see more than she needed to be beautiful.

Keep your fingers crossed. At this point we are probably not going to keep her. She is very delicate and we have brute chickens. We will fix her, love her, and find her a home where she can be pampered. SHe should live with other polish or live with silkies who are just as lovely and special as her.

I will keep you all updated all the time. I wanted to thank you all for your ideas and wisdom. We wouldn't be able to help her at all without all of your help!

When they get mites they get so absolutely dehyrated and anemic so quickly that they literally can die very readily. You did a goo djob of getting right on this. Just remember there's going to be a hatch period in a bit over a week. Watch for it, well watch for a month, then you can just do follow up maintenance treatments thereafter.

The good news is now you know what mites look like - you can check your birds out occassionally and prevent (as well as can be prevented) any big problems. Just remember to keep her nourished because she's just rebuilding her nutrition. This is one of those times I will use a little redcell in the food as it's a blood builder. If you have it available, (dog section - feed store) then good, if not just keep her eating and drinking.
smile.png

In the mean time, I'm glad to hear she's ok. I did find that more delicate breeds like this were the first to go down while the standard layers usually did better. I'm sure someone would love to have her when it's rehoming time.

Good luck with her, and pls let us know if there are any changes.

Back
Top Bottom