Mites, depluming mites, lice

ckuehn

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
Southeast North Dakota
I have issues! Can I get a one-stop post for my questions from people who have dealt with this before? I found these crawling on my easter egger near her back end and vent. It is lice, correct? I also saw crawling black specks like pepper on another. That is mites, correct? I also have a hen who is very weak and has lost a lot blood but she has lost feathers on her neck too, which look like they have been broken off. I am seeing signs of scaly leg mites. I KNOW it is an infestation, but can I use one thing to eliminate it all? I have permethrin, Elector PSP, Spinosad Captain Jack's dead bug, Ivermectin, poultry dust, Virkon for cleaning. I have NEVER had this issue before but with the non-stop rain they haven't been dusting like usual and I didn't supplement their coop with a dust bath because they are literally NEVER in the coop except night time now with the longer days. Should I dip them, spray them, add drops to their necks and under their wings? To make a bad matter even worse, I moved my 6 new chicks out to the coop last week and they are living in a cage in there and going out to the secured run everyday. I checked them very carefully and they don't seem to have mites or lice YET. I am aware that I can't even really treat them, right? Can I put poultry dust in their dust bath to keep them clear, or are they too young? I know this is a lot. I have been searching for a lot of answers, but I get so many different things. I can't treat a hen with everything I have because that is hard on them...
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 9.53.27 PM.png

In your photo it looks like lice/louse.

For tiny chicks, you could use Permethrin based poultry dust on them if you are seeing bugs. Sprinkle a bit of the dust into their bedding/housing.

For those hens that have an infestation, you have Permethrin or Elector PSP - either one of those will work for lice or mites on the birds (follow directions on your labels).
Treat housing as well. Repeat per your label.

For SLM, apply an oil like castor oil or vaseline to the legs. Nustock cream will work too. Work the oil/cream of choice up and under the scales of the feet and legs. Do this every few days to smother the mites.

Photos of the hen that has loss and lost a lot of blood? What do you mean she's lost a lot of blood - from picking/pecking or ?
Move her if she's being picked at, cage her separately within sight of the others. Clean up any wounds that she has with saline, chlorhexidine or betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds/broken skin. Work on her drinking and getting hydrated. A little sugar water or electrolytes would be good. Once drinking, offer her food. Egg, fish or a little beef liver as a treat can also be helpful.

External Parasite I.D.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

I have issues! Can I get a one-stop post for my questions from people who have dealt with this before? I found these crawling on my easter egger near her back end and vent. It is lice, correct? I also saw crawling black specks like pepper on another. That is mites, correct? I also have a hen who is very weak and has lost a lot blood but she has lost feathers on her neck too, which look like they have been broken off. I am seeing signs of scaly leg mites. I KNOW it is an infestation, but can I use one thing to eliminate it all? I have permethrin, Elector PSP, Spinosad Captain Jack's dead bug, Ivermectin, poultry dust, Virkon for cleaning. I have NEVER had this issue before but with the non-stop rain they haven't been dusting like usual and I didn't supplement their coop with a dust bath because they are literally NEVER in the coop except night time now with the longer days. Should I dip them, spray them, add drops to their necks and under their wings? To make a bad matter even worse, I moved my 6 new chicks out to the coop last week and they are living in a cage in there and going out to the secured run everyday. I checked them very carefully and they don't seem to have mites or lice YET. I am aware that I can't even really treat them, right? Can I put poultry dust in their dust bath to keep them clear, or are they too young? I know this is a lot. I have been searching for a lot of answers, but I get so many different things. I can't treat a hen with everything I have because that is hard on them...
View attachment 3843053

Last edited:

For tiny chicks, you could use Permethrin based poultry dust on them if you are seeing bugs. Sprinkle a bit of the dust into their bedding/housing.

For those hens that have an infestation, you have Permethrin or Elector PSP - either one of those will work for lice or mites on the birds (follow directions on your labels).

For SLM, apply an oil like castor oil or vaseline to the legs. Nustock cream will work too. Work the oil/cream of choice up and under the scales of the feet and legs. Do this every few days to smother the mites.

Photos of the hen that has loss and lost a lot of blood? What do you mean she's lost a lot of blood - from picking/pecking or ?
Move her if she's being picked at, cage her separately within sight of the others. Clean up any wounds that she has with saline, chlorhexidine or betadine. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds/broken skin. Work on her drinking and getting hydrated. A little sugar water or electrolytes would be good. Once drinking, offer her food. Egg, fish or a little beef liver as a treat can also be helpful.

External Parasite I.D.
I don't mean she has an injury, but she has slowed down in the last couple of days and seems to have a hard crop which I have massaged, and then it goes away. She is a four-year-old brahma and I just feel like the mites have taken a toll on her health.

I don't mean she has an injury, but she has slowed down in the last couple of days and seems to have a hard crop which I have massaged, and then it goes away. She is a four-year-old brahma and I just feel like the mites have taken a toll on her health.

I also have a hen who is very weak and has lost a lot blood but she has lost feathers on her neck too, which look like they have been broken off.
:hmm:hmm So, she's not lost a lot of blood and has not injuries?

Mites can affect health, that's for sure. Treat your birds and get rid of the bugs.

Re-check her crop first thing in the morning, see if it's emptying. If it's not, the begin addressing that symptom. This article will walk you through it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

External Parasite I.D.
I treated all 29 this morning with Elector PSP and a spray bottle. I made them a dust tub with dirt, barn lime and poultry dust. Most of them had mites, and some of them had lice too. I took every single thing out of that coop, crubbed it all out with Virkon S and then prayed the whole thing with Elector. My hen still seems week. She came out of the coop (everyone was evicted for cleaning) and sat under a bush alone most of the day. I brought her poultry cell treated water and a 1/2 can of tuna which she ate some of. She seems so tired and listless. She still has some mite activity so I dusted her. I felt her crop and it was hard yesterday ( I massaged it and broke it up) but today it was spongy. I have her an aquamox antibiotic (500 mg). IDK. If she has an infection-. I just don't know...

Is she pooping?
What's that like?
When was her last egg?
Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

If she normally lays eggs and hasn't laid one, then I'd get extra calcium into her.
The vitamins are a good idea. Work on hydration and then offer things to eat.

If the crop is not emptying, then begin addressing that symptom. Hard, then to soft/spongy, I'd treat as sour and doughy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is she pooping?
What's that like?
When was her last egg?

If she normally lays eggs and hasn't laid one, then I'd get extra calcium into her.

If the crop is not emptying, then begin addressing that symptom. Hard, then to soft/spongy, I'd treat as sour and doughy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Her last egg was six months ago. I would say she is not pooping, but she isn't eating much either. I gave her 1000 calcium yesterday with an epsom soak. Her abdomen seemed hard, but it wasn't today. I will get pics tomorrow (if she is still here).

Is she pooping?
What's that like?
When was her last egg?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.38.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.38.07 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.37.52 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.37.52 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.37.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.37.59 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Her stance doesn't look off. She is a big girl and weighs about 9 lbs. She is 4 years old. Her crop is empty today. I gave her her favorites and protein. She seldom drinks any water. She may not be pooping. She slept in the nest she went in last night and I let her. She didn't really want to come out and when I took her out, she wanted to go back. That suggests egg bound, right? I gave her another 1000 mg of calcium. I am reluctant to soak her because she struggles so much, but will. What other options do I have?

Back
Top Bottom